[comp.databases] Relational models

dbruck@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Don Bruck@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) (07/28/89)

In article <81@csnz.co.nz> paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>In article <18886@sequent.UUCP> normb@sequent.UUCP (Norm Browne) writes:
>>In article <AYknCfy00WB28IU6sk@andrew.cmu.edu> bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly) writes:
>>>model. Sometimes the users insist that they want what they want, and you
>>>can't do it without breaking the model. We had to write an application
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>to do this kind of thing a while back.
>>	Does it strike anyone else that the above kind of
>>	statement indicates that the relational model is
>>	not a very accurate depiction of the real world?
>
>Experience tends to confirm that the relational approach is not
>an accurate model for all real-world situations.  I could present
>an empirical "proof", but I'm not well enough versed in formal
>logic to present a rigorous argument for this.  ;-)
>
>It seems "intuitive" to me that an object-oriented OODBMS is better
>at mapping real world situations.  Further, there are some cases
>where a relational approach is very limited, e.g. large text
>databases, where a record may contain from a few bytes to several
>megabytes.  This is where software like BRS/Search, which indexes
Object oriented does seem intuitive. So do Relational designs, Hierarchic
designs and Batch oriented files, at certain times. The link I put between
Relational and Object Oriented models is that if the data is in a Relational
mode it can support many objects. In other words, the data portion of an object
can be thought of as a join of one or more relations, including only those
attributes pertinent to the object. That is the strength and intended objective
of relational design - flexibility and extensibility.

Finally, the model is only a representation. The implementation of
a model should use the processing environment that best suits the problems
to be solved. If searching text is important then store text with word-by-word
indexing, if transaction speed is of the utmost importance then denormalize
around the most important objects or transactions, if versatility is most important use a relational dbms. Use a model to analyze what your users have, use
tools to give them what they need.

Don Bruck
These opinions are my own, but may coincide with and be claimed by my employer.