[comp.databases] Rename Database in Informix

rick@jpusa1.UUCP (Rick Mills) (07/29/89)

	Sorry for the informix specific question, but....

	Is there any easy way to rename a database in Informix SQL 2.1 ?
I can rename the database_name.dbs directory, but I'm sure there are tables
in the DB dictionary with hard-coded full pathnames.
	Any suggestions?

--
Rick Mills {gargoyle.uchicago.edu,uunet.uu.net,spl1,ddsw1}!jpusa1.uucp!rick

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (07/30/89)

In article <1141@jpusa1.UUCP> rick@jpusa1.UUCP (Rick Mills) writes:
>	Sorry for the informix specific question, but....
>	Is there any easy way to rename a database in Informix SQL 2.1 ?
>I can rename the database_name.dbs directory, but I'm sure there are
> tables in the DB dictionary with hard-coded full pathnames.
>	Any suggestions?
>--
>Rick Mills {gargoyle.uchicago.edu,uunet.uu.net,spl1,ddsw1}!jpusa1.uucp!rick

In most cases, it *is* as simple as renaming the .dbs directory name
prefix.  The only exception is if you have explicit pathnames specified
for any tables -- if any of those directories are renamed, you would
have to (carefully!) update the catalog accordingly.

In the "systables" catalog table, there is a column called "dirpath".
For any given table, the O/S file name prefix for the table's files
will be here.  Normally, it is just the table name (if the table files
reside in the .dbs directory).  If, however, you built a table
somewhere else via the CREATE TABLE ... IN [pathname] clause (say, to
put a table in another file system), the full pathname of the table
(excluding the .dat suffix) is found here.  You can update this value
with a regular UPDATE statement if you are primary DBA, but use
special care.  Normally, renaming the database won't affect such
"external" tables anyway.

any directory names appear that need to be changed.  If so, update
the dirpath accordingly, exit the database, and rename the directories
using mv.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!