[comp.databases] Ingres 6.0

bi38@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Macbeth Ylr) (08/09/89)

We hope to soon convert our 5.0 installation to 6.2.  I had assumed
that our Ingres applications (almost all OSL based) would be totally
compatible.  The Ingres Release 6 Conversion Guide seems to be quite
a pessimistic document, though, and seems to hint of problems to
come.  I would appreciate any comments on people's conversion
experience or into regarding such a conversion.

Jude Poole
jpoole@ucsd.edu
jpoole@ucsd.bitnet

PS: "An empty Release 6 database, for example, requires
approximately 774 Mb..."  I hope RTI proofread the rest of this
guide a little better than the first few chapters :-).

robf@squid.rtech.com (Robert Fair) (08/10/89)

>From: bi38@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Macbeth Ylr)
>
>We hope to soon convert our 5.0 installation to 6.2.  I had assumed
>that our Ingres applications (almost all OSL based) would be totally
>compatible.  The Ingres Release 6 Conversion Guide seems to be quite
>a pessimistic document, though, and seems to hint of problems to
>come.  I would appreciate any comments on people's conversion
>experience or into regarding such a conversion.

The conversion in general should be quite simple if its taken step-by-step.
The guide may look scary at first glance, but thats mainly because we tried
to point out all the minor things that could bite you ! (The conversion
guide was written by RTI technical support based  on practical experience)

Generally converting OSL code is pretty straightforward, especially
if  you are using QUEL.  (Most of the changes are in SQL, which is now
native in R6 - a number of QUEL-isms have gone away, for example permits
now use GRANT instead of CREATE PERMIT) In  most cases there are options
for  backwards compatibility - both the report writer and ABF have -5.0
flags to make them work like the older 5.0 products, for example.

One helpful tool is the 5-to-6 gateway (fsgw), which lets your 5.0 frontend
applications run  against a release 6 DBMS server without recompiling - this
makes conversion  of large/multiple applications much easier !

On the latest version  of INGRES 6.2 there are also a number of conversion-aid
utilities, including APPCHK which goes through application source code and
points out possible places where you might want to make changes.

There is a document produced by the RTI training group called "Getting to
Release 6" which describes all the changes, new  features etc in less
technical language - you might find it useful (RTI is at 1-800-4INGRES)

>Jude Poole
>jpoole@ucsd.edu
>jpoole@ucsd.bitnet

Robert Fair