[comp.databases] DBMSs in Engineering/R&D/Distributed/Hetrogeneous Environments

siraj@endor.harvard.edu (Raad Siraj) (08/15/89)

I'm trying to gather data on database management systems that can support
engineering/r&d activities.  The database management system must be able
to handle multiple hetrogeneous platforms that are geographically
dispersed.

More specifically, I am interested in experiences/references in supporting
automotive engineering/r&d activities using any of the following DBMSs:

	Britton Lee
	Ingres
	Oracle
	Sybase
	Teradata
	Unify

Ra'ad Siraj

robf@squid.rtech.com (Robert Fair) (08/16/89)

>From: siraj@endor.harvard.edu (Raad Siraj)
>
>I'm trying to gather data on database management systems that can support
>engineering/r&d activities.  The database management system must be able
>to handle multiple hetrogeneous platforms that are geographically
>dispersed.
>
>More specifically, I am interested in experiences/references in supporting
>automotive engineering/r&d activities using any of the following DBMSs:
>
>	Ingres
>Ra'ad Siraj

INGRES is used quite extensively in enginering/r&d activities, including
a number of major companies in the automotive industry.

INGRES/STAR and INGRES/NET are normally used to link databases in remote
locations and on heterogeneous platforms in this kind of environment.

STAR gives you the benefit of location and DBMS transparency - a distributed
database may be physically in many different locations, using different
hardware (and potentially different DBMSs) but it looks like a
single, integrated, database to your applications.

For more information, references etc probably the best person to contact
is your local friendly RTI salesperson (or call 1-800-4INGRES)

Robert Fair
Technical Support
Relational Technology Inc.