[comp.databases] Dbase IV - compiler/graphics

jonas@lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) (08/15/89)

Hello,

1.

I was wondering if there is a compiler for Dbase IV on an IBM PC.
I want to get an .exe file to distribute without having the Dbase package
installed.

2.

Is there any graphics routines for Dbase IV that you can include and also
compile.
I want to present the graphics both on the screen and a printer/laser.

I be very glad to get all kinds of info on these two subjects,even if there
isn't Dbase IV compatible.

Sincerely Jonas

--

  jonas@lkbpyr.lkb.se

joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) (08/17/89)

I don't know about the graphics, but I understand that Ashton-Tate's
Developer's Edition will allow you to create a stand-alone application that
uses the dBase IV data structures.

   Jim Henderson, joe@pnet51.cts.com
  "Don't ask me how it works or I'll start to whimper."  - Arthur Dent
  DISCLAIMER:  "I speak for myself, and only for myself."  (Except where noted.)

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (08/18/89)

In article <867@orbit.UUCP>, joe@pnet51.cts.com (Jim Henderson) writes:
> I don't know about the graphics, but I understand that Ashton-Tate's
> Developer's Edition will allow you to create a stand-alone application that
> uses the dBase IV data structures.

I'm sorry I missed the original poster, but I can reply to the reply.  We
have a product called ChartMaster, which I'm sorry to say I'm not very
familiar with, and dBASE IV comes with a program called ChartMaster Bridge
which makes it possible to produce graphics from your data.  I'm sorry I'm
so fuzzy on the details; if there is more interest I'll actually get
up from my chair and find out what you want to know.  :-)

The Developer's Edition does create stand-alone applications, using a
runtime library approach (like the old BASCOM BASIC compiler) which we
cleverly call "RunTime(tm)".  However, we have announced a "real" compiler
which will produce efficient .exe files perhaps an order of magnitude
smaller than a RunTime application and some factor faster.  Unfortunately,
we announced by press release on 8/15/89 that the Professional Compiler
would in all probability not ship this year.  My division isn't developing
the Professional Compiler, so I'm following the press releases just
like anyone.

/alastair/