[comp.databases] 4D for Mac

AARIE@BGUVM.BITNET (08/15/89)

Any one can comment on 4th Dimension for Mac V2.0 ?

                                        Arie

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (08/21/89)

In article <593AARIE@BGUVM> AARIE@BGUVM.BITNET writes:
>Any one can comment on 4th Dimension for Mac V2.0 ?
>
>                                        Arie

4D 2.0 is finally out.  ACIUS shipped (is shipping) upgrades to all
registered users.  The upgrade is FREE. I am sure it will be coming
soon to a store near you. (Computerware has it)

If you are upgrading, the package comes with a converter to move your
1.0 databases into 2.0. (Hint: Run 4D Tools 1.04 on your 1.0 database
before running the convertor on it. This gives the converter a clean
slate on which to run.)

The two most obvious improvements are speed and ease of use.

2.0 is much faster than 1.0  All the data access functions are an
order of magnitude faster.

2.0 is also much easier to use.  In 1.0 you could do alot, but there
were some definite hacks. 2.0 removes those hacks.  Anyone should now
be able to build databases with 2.0.

I waited a while for this upgrade, but am glad I did.

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University
liemandt@jessica.stanford.edu