[comp.databases] Ingres runtime options - where are they defined?

mohan@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (mohan.palat) (08/18/89)

	Ingres allows one to set different run-time options such
	as "qbufsize","query_size","j_freesz3","j_sortbufsz". The
	default values for these variables are mentioned in the
	Ingres manuals. However, is there any way to determine the
	default values on a given installation, on-line? My suspicion
	is that the default values are defined in a header file that
	is included in the backend executable (UNIX version). Maybe,
	that's not true.

	Thanks for any response in advance.

	Mohan Palat (att!cbnewsc!mohan) or (att!ihlpf!mohan)
	AT&T

robf@squid.rtech.com (Robert Fair) (08/21/89)

>From: mohan@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (mohan.palat)
>
>Ingres allows one to set different run-time options such
>as "qbufsize","query_size","j_freesz3","j_sortbufsz". The
>default values for these variables are mentioned in the
>Ingres manuals. However, is there any way to determine the
>default values on a given installation, on-line? My suspicion
>is that the default values are defined in a header file that
>is included in the backend executable (UNIX version). Maybe,
>that's not true.

SET QBUFSIZE and SET QUERY_SIZE are indeed described in the SQL and QUEL
reference manuals under the SET statement, and the default values
are described there.

The SET J_xxxxxx statements are tweaks to JOINOP (the RTI INGRES optimizer)
and should not normally be played with unless you know what you are doing,
i.e. under advice from RTI Tech Support or after taking an RTI advanced training
class.  SET J_FREESZ3 option is the only commonly used option (its helpful
with REPEAT queries) and is described in INGRES Technical Note #3.

The installation-wide default values only change if you actually go and
add  a new value in one of the INGRES startup files or environment variables
(like ING_SET), which are all human-viewable.

On an include/header file, this would only change the default when the INGRES
backend DBMS is next compiled, which can only be done if you have the full
RTI INGRES source.

NOTE: Most of these options are no longer necessary nor available in INGRES R6,
due to the different server architecture. In contrast, a number of diagnostic
statements (such as SET QEP and SET PRINTQRY) which were not documented in
5.0 *are* now supported & documented in the latest R6 SQL reference manual.

Robert Fair
Technical Support
Relational Technology, Inc