[comp.databases] Major, serious failure in Foxbase v 2.0?

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (08/22/89)

I'm using Foxbase 2.0 on an AT.  I have a 298K file refs.dbf file with
895 records and a 100K refs.dbt attachment.  I never had any problems
before, but now the following commands yield:

	. use refs
	. copy struc to junk
	. use junk
	. append from refs
	500 records copied

whereupon it hangs on the disk.  Eventually it says:

	Out of disk

On examining the disk, the file refs.dbt has now grown to fill the disk,
about 6 MB, and refs.dbf is truncated to about 200K, exactly 592
records.  The same behavior results under:

	. use refs
	. modif struc

I performed the above many times when the file was just a bit smaller
(I've added maybe 20 records this week).  I controlled for available
memory with no change.  Next I will control for open index files.

Any ideas?
--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

timk@xenitec.uucp (Tim Kuehn) (08/22/89)

In article <2385@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>I'm using Foxbase 2.0 on an AT.  I have a 298K file refs.dbf file with
>895 records and a 100K refs.dbt attachment.  I never had any problems
>before, but now the following commands yield:

..problem deleted...

>whereupon it hangs on the disk.  Eventually it says:
>
>	Out of disk
>
>On examining the disk, the file refs.dbt has now grown to fill the disk,
>about 6 MB, and refs.dbf is truncated to about 200K, exactly 592
>records.  The same behavior results under:

...other problem with similar results deleted...

>Any ideas?
>--
>O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
>| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
>| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
>V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

I used to have a program that did the same thing. However, once my client
upgraded to v2.1 the problem has never happened again. (I do recall I had a
reasonably quick fix for this this, but it'll happen again - so you'd be best
to just do away with the problem completely and get the most recent rev.)

|Timothy D. Kuehn	       			       timk@xenitec	      |
|TDK Consulting Services			       !watmath!xenitec!timk  |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		       (519)-741-3623 	      |
|DOS/Xenix - SW/HW. uC, uP, DBMS. 		       Satisfaction Gauranteed|