[comp.databases] dBASE to Unix Migration

AR.HFN@forsythe.stanford.edu (Hooshyar Naraghi) (08/12/89)

Dear Databasees:

A friend was inquiring about porting a dBASE III (or Plus) program
to a Unix platform.  I know of a company called Recital that has
done that for VAX?VMS environment.  The review I read about that
program in the DEC Professional magazine was all positive.  Our
friend might like to give them a call to see if they have a version
for Unix.  The telephone number of the company is (508) 750-1066.

Thanks,
Hooshie Naraghi
Stanford University
Operations & Maintenance Dept.
AR.HFN@forsythe.stanford.edu

shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) (08/15/89)

In article <4313@lindy.Stanford.EDU> AR.HFN@forsythe.stanford.edu (Hooshyar Naraghi) writes:
>Dear Databasees:
>
>A friend was inquiring about porting a dBASE III (or Plus) program
>to a Unix platform.  I know of a company called Recital that has
>done that for VAX?VMS environment.  The review I read about that
>program in the DEC Professional magazine was all positive.  Our
>friend might like to give them a call to see if they have a version
>for Unix.  The telephone number of the company is (508) 750-1066.

Ahhh, people seeing my .sig will already groan - yes, it's me touting
FOXBASE under Unix again....

*IF* you're running SCO/286, SCO/386, or a hash of other Intel-based **nix
systems, FOXBASE will run fine.  It'll take dbase III code straight from
the disk and execute it immediately.  I think the only adaptation you may
have to do is reindex your files... (Foxbase uses .idx files, not .ndx).  I
think an umlimited user license (per machine) for foxbase is $995 (someone
correct me if I'm wrong)...

On a side tack - does anyone know if FoxPro will be released under Unix?
Does anyone have ANY information on Foxpro?  A company I talked to
developing under it would not release any information about it, and my
company cannot become a beta site ('sorry, we're not setting up any new
Beta sites now...'  grrr.)  I need to know what new features they're
throwing in.  Memo field handling?  EXE file generation?  Speed increases?
Better queries?  WHAT??

|    Dave Shevett    |  between two puns is a | Labyrinth II BBS |
| shevett@labii.UUCP |  straight line...'     |  W. Trenton, NJ  |

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (08/23/89)

I believe Wordtech also has a Unix version of their dbXL program.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie.....
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)