[comp.databases] 4th Dimension as a SQL Server Client?

hargrove@harlie.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) (08/27/89)

Does anybody know if Acius intends to make 4D available as a client environment
for the Microsoft (aka Sybase) SQL Server environment?  Or as a front-end
for any of the Major Player RDBMS's?  We've got several folks here at SGI
jumping up and down to build substantial applications using 4Dv2, and I'd
like to know how long of a leash to allow :-)  .

Mark Hargrove                                       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
email: hargrove@harlie.corp.sgi.com                 2011 N.Shoreline Drive
voice: 415-962-3642                                 Mt.View, CA 94039

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (08/29/89)

In article <HARGROVE.89Aug27140741@harlie.sgi.com> hargrove@harlie.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) writes:

>Does anybody know if Acius intends to make 4D available as a client environment
>for the Microsoft (aka Sybase) SQL Server environment?  Or as a front-end
>for any of the Major Player RDBMS's?  We've got several folks here at SGI
>jumping up and down to build substantial applications using 4Dv2, and I'd
>like to know how long of a leash to allow :-)  .

Well, ORACLE has announced links between 4D and their engine.  That is
supposed to be delivered soon.  Neuron Data (Nexpert Object) is developing
links between 4D and their expert system. ACIUS has shown 4D working with
CL/1.  I am pretty sure that Sybase and ACIUS are working on some Transact-SQL
interfaces.

ACIUS appears to be very interested in being the front end of choice
on the macintosh for all the SQL servers.  I have tested most of the above
links and love the combination of 4D's graphical interface and the SQL
engines of the various vendors. With some effort, you can put together
some really wiz-bang apps that are both pretty and functional.

Please Email if you have any additional questions.

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University
liemandt@jessica.stanford.edu

Disclaimer: " I like 4D"