[comp.databases] Oracle: Q's about UNIX, Macintosh

nw@diemen.cc.utas.oz (Nigel Williams) (08/28/89)

Can anyone answer the following questions please. We have been
unable to get any satisfactory answers from the local support people.

1.	Macintosh Oracle (1.0 or 1.1beta) does not seem to work reliably
	on the Macintosh SE/30 (our application made extensive use of
	views - which we have subsequently removed due to a suggestion
	that it was a memory full condition. Oracle was returning an
	undocumented -221 Error. An error that no one at Oracle seems
	to know anything about.

2.	Oracle for SuperCard
	Any idea of when it will be available ?
	We have attempted to use SuperCard with the HyperCard
	Oracle XCMDS, however fetching multiple rows does'nt work.
	Is this an imcompatability between XCMDs and SuperCard or
	ORACLE and SuperCard?

	Has anyone written any XCMDS using the OCI ( or Pro*C ) Libraries
	supplied with Oracle ?

3.	Will Macintosh network Oracle work with MacTCP? (Oracle
	supplies TCPort from Kinetics). Our initial tests suggest
	that it does not, however we are concerned that it may
	require an unusual network addressing configuration.

4.	UNIX, specifically Apple UNIX (aka A/UX)

	Is there a production release of this product ?

	The attitude in Australia from Oracle is that they do not
	consider that A/UX is an appropriate platform to support an
	ORACLE server and there is no intention to produce a production
	version. Given that the US Air Force is purchasing some 10,000
	A/UX systems to run Oracle (and Wingz etc) we assume this
	situation will change.

5.	Will the A/UX implementation eventually support a serial SQL*Net
	version?

6.	4th Dimension V2.0 interface to Oracle - Is it available?

7.	Is the production release of Macintosh Oracle 1.1 shipping?

Nigel Williams		|	Desktop Power Pty Ltd
Gavin Orr		|	nw@diemen.utas.OZ.AU

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (08/29/89)

In article <1004@diemen.cc.utas.oz> nw@diemen.cc.utas.oz (Nigel Williams) writes:
>Can anyone answer the following questions please. We have been
>unable to get any satisfactory answers from the local support people.
>
>1.	Macintosh Oracle (1.0 or 1.1beta) does not seem to work reliably
>	on the Macintosh SE/30 (our application made extensive use of
>	views - which we have subsequently removed due to a suggestion
>	that it was a memory full condition. Oracle was returning an
>	undocumented -221 Error. An error that no one at Oracle seems
>	to know anything about.

I'm not sure, it may be a problem with the beta.  We are using a production
version of 1.1 on a SE/30 with 5MB and have no unusual problems.

>2.	Oracle for SuperCard
>	Any idea of when it will be available ?
>	We have attempted to use SuperCard with the HyperCard
>	Oracle XCMDS, however fetching multiple rows does'nt work.
>	Is this an imcompatability between XCMDs and SuperCard or
>	ORACLE and SuperCard?

.
.
Sorry, cannot help you here, except to note that we were trying to use
links from Neuron Data's Nexpert Object (expert system) that were written
for hypercard and they did not work with Supercard very well.

>3.	Will Macintosh network Oracle work with MacTCP?

.
I do not know, but am very interested in an answer myself.

>4.	UNIX, specifically Apple UNIX (aka A/UX)
>	Is there a production release of this product ?

You cannot currently buy ORACLE for AU/X.  I think they have announced
an "intent" to port.  They also said that about the NeXT.  I think that
is OracleSpeak for "if enough machines are sold, we will start coding"

>5.	Will the A/UX implementation eventually support a serial SQL*Net
>	version?

No Clue.

>6.	4th Dimension V2.0 interface to Oracle - Is it available?

This is currently in development and should be released RSN.  They are
re-writing some of the interfaces to take advantage of new 4D features.
Look for end of Sept. or early Oct.

>7.	Is the production release of Macintosh Oracle 1.1 shipping?

Yes.

>Nigel Williams		|	Desktop Power Pty Ltd
>Gavin Orr		|	nw@diemen.utas.OZ.AU

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University
liemandt@jessica.stanford.edu
Disclaimer: "Everyone at Stanford thinks exactly the same way I do,
and if they do not, they should"