[comp.databases] New system/need application advice....

dfickes@expert.com (David Fickes) (09/04/89)

We are considering a new database system to handle a sales
application.  Probably have 6-12 tables and the biggest key
is useability.  Basic requirements are:

	a. Run on Sun workstations
	b. Record level locking
	c. Fully relational
	d. Ad-hoc query capability

We currently have all the data running in Ingres 5.X on
our Suns but find that our response rate is too slow and
that we have deadlocking problems.  I've considering the
following:

	a. Paradox (have it on a couple of IBM-PCs)
	b. Progress (somewhat expensive/unresponsive salesperson)
	c. Foxbase (I know dBASE III+ )
	d. Ingres (its here ...)
	e. hiring consultant (please send email)

Any suggestions?  I'd rather not invest a HUGE amount of money
but having someone come in for a couple of days to set up a few
necessary items would be preferred.

- david

--
David K. Fickes				dfickes@expert.com
Sun Expert Magazine			uunet!expert!dfickes

dmc@sei.cmu.edu (Dawn Cappelli) (09/06/89)

In article <1989Sep3.232158.7277@expert.com> dfickes@expert.com (David Fickes) writes:

>We are considering a new database system to handle a sales
>application.  Probably have 6-12 tables and the biggest key
>is useability.

>We currently have all the data running in Ingres 5.X on
>our Suns but find that our response rate is too slow and
>that we have deadlocking problems.

Your database doesn't sound like it's very complex, and you should be
able to get the performance you need out of a Sun.  Has anyone in
your organization taken Relational Technology's Advanced Performance
seminar?  I would highly recommend it if not.  It covers some
deadlocking issues, as well as many other performance issues.  It's a
really good seminar, but you want to be sure to send someone who
understands the basic storage structures (btree, isam, hash & heap).

You may still need a consultant, but the seminar is well worth the cost.
--
Dawn Cappelli	dmc@sei.cmu.edu   sei!dmc     (412) 268-6170

This is only my opinion, and doesn't necessarily reflect the opinion of the SEI.

bg0l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce E. Golightly) (09/08/89)

Sounds like something is wrong here. The data base doesn't appear to be
complex at all, and a Sun should certainly have enough horsepower to do the
job. Have you talked to RTI about your problem? I have found them helpful at
times.

Off hand, I would say that your best move would be improving performance in
the existing application. This might involve bringing in a consultant for
a couple of days, or sending someone to the performance seminar and fixing
the problem in-house.

CMU might be able to provide some help over the net.
Bruce