[comp.databases] An Informix-SQL Question...

lincoln@aut.UUCP (Philip Lincoln) (09/13/89)

The Informix-SQL demo script contains something like:

isql - - <<!
.
-- SQL statements --
.
.

!

We can't find this "- -" parameter notation documented anywhere.
Is it documented anywhere?, and what does it actually mean??
Naturally we've already figured out that it probably tells
Informix that the input comes from standard input, but perhaps
there is something more to it than that.

Any answers gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
	Philip.

davek@infmx.UUCP (David Kosenko) (09/14/89)

>The Informix-SQL demo script contains something like:
>
>isql - - <<!
>.
>-- SQL statements --
>.
>.
>
>!
>
>We can't find this "- -" parameter notation documented anywhere.
>Is it documented anywhere?, and what does it actually mean??
>Naturally we've already figured out that it probably tells
>Informix that the input comes from standard input, but perhaps
>there is something more to it than that.
>
>Any answers gratefully accepted.
>
>Thanks,
>	Philip.

	See the INFORMIX-SQL Reference manual, Appendix M -
Accessing Programs from the Operating System, page M-4.
A facsimile is reproduced here:

RDSQL

The operating system command line syntax for running RDSQL
statements is

ISQL { database-name | - } { -r | command-file | - }

ISQL		is the program call for INFORMIX-SQL

database-name	is the name of the database in your current
		directory or a directory cited in your DBPATH
		environment variable.  You may replace
		database-name with a dash, if either the
		CREATE DATABASE or DATABASE
		statement follows.

-r		calls the RDSQL Menu.  When you exit the
		RDSQL Menu, you return to the operating
		system command line.

command-file	is the name of a command file containing one
		or more RDSQL statements.  Do not include the
		.sql extension (filename.sql) on the command
		line.

		You may replace command-file with a dash and
		enter RDSQL statements from the standard
		input (UNIX systems only).  Indicate the end
		of a statement with a semicolon.

Enter the RDSQL statements at the > prompt.  You can enter
a single statement or an entire series of statements.  You
remain in RDSQL until you type CTRL-D at the prompt.

M-4  Program Command Line Syntax

---
Dave
--
Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed herein | ..and the best thing you've ever
are by no means those of Informix Software | done for me is to help me take my

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (09/15/89)

In article <2343@infmx.UUCP> davek@infmx.UUCP (David Kosenko) writes:
>>The Informix-SQL demo script contains something like:
>>
>>isql - - <<!
>>-- SQL statements --
>>!
>>
>>We can't find this "- -" parameter notation documented anywhere.
>>Is it documented anywhere?, and what does it actually mean??
>>Naturally we've already figured out that it probably tells
>>Informix that the input comes from standard input, but perhaps
>>there is something more to it than that.
>>
>>Any answers gratefully accepted.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>	Philip.

>	See the INFORMIX-SQL Reference manual, Appendix M -
>Accessing Programs from the Operating System, page M-4.
>A facsimile is reproduced here:

Uh, Dave, it might help if you mention what version of the manual
you are using...  in the most common version of the 2.10 ISQL manual
(UNIX version, Rev. A, July '87), this usage is omitted.  (Darn it,
I just checked the .06 DOS version and it's missing there, too...
Dave, where DID you find it?)

This usage originated with ISQL 1.10 or 2.00.  It somehow dropped from
the manuals for a time when the "new" (isql -qr scriptname) method
was introduced with 2.10.  It still has been and will continue to
be supported, however, so I suggest printing out Dave's posting
and add it to your Appendix M if it isn't there already...

As he already mentioned, the first parameter is database name
and the second is script name.  A hyphen denotes omitted parameters.
If the first is omitted, a DATABASE statement must appear first
in the script (DATABASE, START DATABASE, DROP DATABASE, etc.)
If the second is omitted, statements are taken from stdin and must
be delimited by semicolons (in interactive mode, the semicolon actually
triggers statement execution).  This older method is easier for batch
use because you don't see the banner page or menus.

Alan     (the West Coast Dave  :-])

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!