[comp.databases] tlink && clipper

csc@chinet.chi.il.us (Craig Curtin) (09/12/89)

Is anyone using the Turbo linker (tlink) with Clipper?
This are the macros from my makefile that invoke the MS linker (3.61)
and for some reason I cannot get tlink to work just by subbing in
for LINK and changing the flags. can anyone send/post the tlink
command line they are using?? thanks

<< from my makefile>>>

>>MS_LINK	=main+screen+acctmnt+util+bdoor+help+ndx+debug
>>LINK	=$(RAM_DISK)\link
>>#	Microsoft (3.61) linker flags
>>LFLAGS	=/se:512 /noi /noe
>>
>>$(LINK) $(LFLAGS) $(MS_LINK),main,,$(LIBS)
craig curtin						email: chinet!csc

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (09/12/89)

In article <9551@chinet.chi.il.us>, csc@chinet.chi.il.us (Craig Curtin) writes:

> Is anyone using the Turbo linker (tlink) with Clipper?

Yes.

> craig curtin						email: chinet!csc

Here's an example makefile from one of the systems I'm developing:

*	obj = feed.obj main.obj report.obj makedb.obj
*
*	feed.exe: $(obj)
*		tlink feed main report makedb p:debug,,, p:clipper p:extend
*
*	.SUFFIXES: .obj .prg
*
*	.prg.obj:
*		clipper $*.prg -m

I hope this helps!

James Everett Ward
f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
Don't feed the bats tonight.

nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) (09/13/89)

From article <9551@chinet.chi.il.us>, by csc@chinet.chi.il.us (Craig Curtin):

> Is anyone using the Turbo linker (tlink) with Clipper?
> This are the macros from my makefile that invoke the MS linker (3.61)
> and for some reason I cannot get tlink to work just by subbing in
> for LINK and changing the flags. can anyone send/post the tlink
> command line they are using?? thanks

I use TLINK regularly with CLIPPER as long as I am not using overlays.  Also,
you MUST use the TLINK from TURBO C 1.5 (TLINK from TURBOC 2.0 will not
work properly with CLIPPER object modules).  I use TLINK from DOS command
line as follows:

   TLINK {obj list},{EXE name},,{lib list}

This looks like the same command that your macro would use.
 |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsacg1!gmidkiff                                 |
 |From the Internet: gmidkiff@dsacg1.dla.mil                             |
 |Phone: (614)-238-9643 @DLA, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, Oh.   |

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (09/14/89)

In article <1523@dsacg1.UUCP>, nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) writes:
> From article <9551@chinet.chi.il.us>, by csc@chinet.chi.il.us (Craig Curtin):
> >
> > Is anyone using the Turbo linker (tlink) with Clipper?
> Also, you MUST use the TLINK from TURBO C 1.5 (TLINK from TURBOC 2.0
> will not work properly with CLIPPER object modules).

I use Clipper and Tlink from Turbo C 2.0 all the time with no problem...
Maybe you use an older version of Clipper?  I use Summer '87.

James Everett Ward
f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still carry
a tune.

nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) (09/14/89)

From article <5594@decvax.dec.com>, by f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward):
> I use Clipper and Tlink from Turbo C 2.0 all the time with no problem...
> Maybe you use an older version of Clipper?  I use Summer '87.

I also use Summer '87 Clipper and have been unable to use TLINK from
TurboC 2.0.  What is your secret?
An article in Nantucket News about various linkers also stated that
you could not use TLINK from TurboC 2.0.

f0057@uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) (09/16/89)

In article <1525@dsacg1.UUCP>, nfs0294@dsacg1.UUCP (Glendell R. Midkiff) writes:
> I also use Summer '87 Clipper and have been unable to use TLINK from
> TurboC 2.0.  What is your secret?
> An article in Nantucket News about various linkers also stated that
> you could not use TLINK from TurboC 2.0.

My mistake!  I see that Turbo Pascal is in my path before Turbo C, so
whenever I execute tlink, it's the one that comes with Pascal.. I'm sorry!

James Everett Ward		f0057@uafhp.uark.edu
Any father who thinks he's all important should remind himself that
this country honors fathers only one day a year while pickles get a
whole week.

matthew.silver@canremote.uucp (MATTHEW SILVER) (09/17/89)

cs>Is anyone using the Turbo linker (tlink) with Clipper?

        You CANNOT use TLINK from Turbo C 2

        You CAN use TLINK from Turbo C 1.0 & 1.5

        The version I use says it is TLINK version 1.1,
        which came with Turbo C 1.5

If you are using overlays you must use PLINK86 which came with Clipper.

The command line can be seen from entering TLINK <enter>

Tlink object_list, exe_result, mapfile, library_list

EG:

Tlink mod1+mod2+mod3,myprog,nul,clipper+extend+mylib
      -------------  ------ --- ------- ------ -----
          |             |   |      |     |       |
          |             |   |      |     |       - mylib.lib
          |             |   |      |     |-- Nantucket's Extend.lib
          |             |   |      |-- Nantucket's Clipper.lib
          |             |   |-- skip the map file this time
          |             |-- create myprog.exe if successful link
          |-- object list

Note:   List elements can be seperated with a space or a plus "+"
        Lists end with a comma ","

If you have a large list of object and/or libraries the response file
format is:

Tlink @responsefilename

responsefile consists of:

object list
resulting exe
mapfile
library list

To continue a list on the next line use "+"
To end a list use "," or nothing

You may specify a response file for each list

EG:

Tlink @objlist, myprog, mymap,  @liblist
        |       |       |       --- library response file
        |       |       |---------- mapfile resulting in mymap.map
        |       |------------------ exe name resulting in myprog.exe
        |-------------------------- object response file

I hope this helps & good luck.