[comp.databases] database for maintaining bibliographic references

downey@rat.indiana.edu (09/17/89)

a pc?  I have tried several ways, none of which is really satisfactory.
I used a shareware version of PC-File:Db, but found it difficult to
set up the formats for printing out the references.  I bought Reflex,
but have been disappointed for the same reason.  I downloaded a program
from Simtel20 called JEPRS, but there were some shortcomings.  I have seen
others use AskSam, but I would like something easier to use and more
flexible than AskSam (something that outputs DIF or some other file format).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Doug Downey                            |   "If men define situations as real
downey@cica.indiana.edu                |   they are real in their consequences"
Indiana Institute for Social Research  |   W.I. Thomas

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/17/89)

downey@rat.indiana.edu writes:

>a pc?  I have tried several ways, none of which is really satisfactory.
>I used a shareware version of PC-File:Db, but found it difficult to
>set up the formats for printing out the references.  I bought Reflex,
>but have been disappointed for the same reason.  I downloaded a program
>from Simtel20 called JEPRS, but there were some shortcomings.  I have seen
>others use AskSam, but I would like something easier to use and more
>flexible than AskSam (something that outputs DIF or some other file format).

Try Bibliofile.  It is free, and is specifically designed to do bibliographic
indexing.

It is available from:

	Earl H. Kinmonth
	History Department
	University of California, Davis
	Davis, California  95616
	916-752-1636 (day: voice, night (my time, not yours, damn it): fax)
	916-752-0776 (secretary)
	ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck (email)
	cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu (request ucdked, login as guest)

I got a copy, and it is very good.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

MARWK@levels.sait.edu.au (09/20/89)

In article <26143@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, downey@rat.indiana.edu writes:
> a pc?  I have tried several ways, none of which is really satisfactory.
> I used a shareware version of PC-File:Db, but found it difficult to
> set up the formats for printing out the references.  I bought Reflex,
> but have been disappointed for the same reason.  I downloaded a program
> from Simtel20 called JEPRS, but there were some shortcomings.  I have seen
> others use AskSam, but I would like something easier to use and more
> flexible than AskSam (something that outputs DIF or some other file format).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

> Doug Downey                            |   "If men define situations as real
> downey@cica.indiana.edu                |   they are real in their consequences"
> Indiana Institute for Social Research  |   W.I. Thomas

I have written a bibliographic reference manager called PROREF which has
had world-wide sales - it was written for a research group in teletraffic
research for storing and accessing book and journal references rapidly and
with integrity.

It uses keywords for the items; these keywords must be placed in the keyword
database before any items are posted to the main databases.  It also has a
thesaurus for the keywords.  These databases are maintained separately from
the main databases.  Built-in are mechanisms for all the usual database
operations.  In addition one may read a file of references into the database
in any fixed order of fields.

One may choose to keep a backup of the 'latest' posted additions so that they
can be added to (sold to) others as updates.

The output of a chosen collection can be outputted to a database file for
manipulation by your own CLIPPER/dBASE ???/FOXBASE programs, to place them in
whatever format you want for your special printer/report bibliography.

It has indexed searches so it is very fast.

Most purchasers of the software have requested that they remain anonymous
because they wish to keep the leading edge in their field without their
competitors knowing their methods.

There is one application: TELREF which is a database of TELETRAFFIC RESEARCH
PAPERS which is being bought for $800 for the data alone (i.e. $100 per 1000
professionally KEYWORDED references which uses PROREF.

PROREF is the professional reference manager for most of your bibliographic
database needs.

There are 2 things it does not have: SQL and windowing screens.

It has simplistic menu structures and plain screens, but it does the job, and
does it well enough for many users world-wide to be very thankful for having
purchased it.

It is PROREF 3.1, developed and improved over a 4-year period.

PROREF and TELREF are registered names and the program and database are
copyrighted.

Cost for PROREF was $380, now it is $A100 (so Americans need only pay about
$70).

I wrote PROREF because no other program satisfied our needs; and it is used
almost every day world-wide.

Funding initially by OTC (AUSTRALIA) and the original development was done at
the University of Adelaide's Teletraffic Research Centre under the guidance of
the now Professor L.T.M. Berry.

Ray Kennington

jjb3281@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanbo) (09/20/89)

My uncle subscribes to a bibliography service which collects references
to all articles in magazines about PC's.  It uses PC-FILE.  The service
is called Letus A-B-C, even though it has nothing to do with spread-
sheets.  It seems to do well in the limited domain of magazine articles.
If you want more info, I can call him & ask (his college is not on the
net)
                          Jon Baker
                          jjb3281@acf5.nyu.edu