[comp.databases] Problem with UNIFY

bacic@ncs.dnd.ca (Eugen Bacic) (09/19/89)

My wife is having some problems with UNIFY and perhaps someone else out
there might have had the same problem and would be able to help.  The
version of UNIFY that she is using is UNIFY vsn 5.0 on an NCR Tower
running UNIX System V.3.

Problem 1)

The problem she is having is as follows:  When you are in a UNIFY screen
it will throw you back to a previous screen without warning.  The only
way to get back to what you were doing is to logout and restart UNIFY.

Problem 2)

When you are in a screen and are producing a report, the selection is
done but there is no transfer of data to the report program.  It in fact
creates empty reports.  In the past 4 months it has happened about 250
times.  This problem occurs even if only one user is on the system, even
if that user happens to be ROOT.

In the error log, error code 126 and 25 say: "Unable to open shell".
NCR's UNIX experts are pointing the finger at UNIFY; unfortunately UNIFY
is pointing the finger at NCR's port of UNIX, or the particular
application (which is written in UNIFY and C).  An interesting aside,
everything worked fine until she upgraded to the latest and greatest
version of UNIFY!!  The OS was updated before the UNIFY upgrade with no
ill effects.

UNIFY is also indicating that the problem is unique to my wife's site,
however she knows of at least one other such problem here in Ottawa.
They haven't solved that problem either.  The problem can't be reproduced
at will which results in no easy way of tracking down the problem.  It
also happens to *all* users, so it isn't one particular person.

Please e-mail responses directly to me.  I'll thank everyone in advance.

                                        Eugen Bacic
                                        INFOSEC Research Scientist
                                        arpa:   bacic@ncs.dnd.ca        or
                                        bitnet: EMBacic@Carleton.CA

mike@pmafire.UUCP (mike caldwell) (09/20/89)

In article <669@ncs.dnd.ca> bacic@ncs.dnd.ca (Eugen Bacic) writes:

>My wife is having some problems with UNIFY and perhaps someone else out
>
> ... Description of problem
>
>In the error log, error code 126 and 25 say: "Unable to open shell".
>NCR's UNIX experts are pointing the finger at UNIFY; unfortunately UNIFY
>is pointing the finger at NCR's port of UNIX, or the particular
>application (which is written in UNIFY and C)...
>
>UNIFY is also indicating that the problem is unique to my wife's site,
>however she knows of at least one other such problem here in Ottawa.
>They haven't solved that problem either...
>
>                                        Eugen Bacic

We had a very similiar problem with UNIFY and because of there lack of
support, we dropped them and went to another database vendor.  We were
trying to interface an application using both C and UNIFY and it
wouldn't even compile.  We would comment out the calls to the UNIFY
library and it would compile fine.  UNIFY insisted that it was our
problem or the OS vendors problem and that it was unique to our site.
After a lot of time with nm and a dissasembler I tracked the problem
down to a couple of global variables that no longer existed and
hadn't been officially included in the operating system for a couple
of years.

So we went back to UNIFY again (couldn't be unique, if it was missing
from the OS) and told them what the problem was and asked when they
were going to update the product to work with the current version of
the OS.  They had already had a couple of years to update.  They
informed us that it was the OS vendors responsibility to maintain
backward compatibility and we were SOL if the vendor wouldn't.  Like I
said, we bought a different database.

Mike

--
Mike Caldwell (mike@pmafire.UUCP)
Paths: ...uunet!pmafire!mike | ...!ucdavis!egg-id!pmafire!mike