[comp.databases] Wanted Database tools for MS-C 5.1

jhoward@helps.cactus.org (James Howard) (09/23/89)

I need a set of database subroutines and/or libraries for Microsoft C 5.1.
It could be either free or payware.  The data will be about 9000 records of
50 bytes each.  Rapid random access by a program written in C is required.
The executing hardware will be a 80286 machine with 40 Meg hard drive running
MS-DOS 3.3.

Please email to below address or followup to comp.databases.  Thanks.

---

James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services
AA5R           cs.utexas.edu!helps!jhoward  or  jhoward@helps.cactus.org

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (09/24/89)

In article <488@helps.cactus.org> jhoward@helps.UUCP (James Howard) writes:
>I need a set of database subroutines and/or libraries for Microsoft C 5.1.
>It could be either free or payware.  The data will be about 9000 records of
>50 bytes each.  Rapid random access by a program written in C is required.
>The executing hardware will be a 80286 machine with 40 Meg hard drive running
>MS-DOS 3.3.
>James Howard          Howard Electronic Laboratories Products & Services

(caution: vendor info below; I'll try to keep it pitchless...)

Informix C-ISAM should fit the bill.  It's not a database in itself, but
a fast indexed sequential access method callable from C.

The current DOS version is 3.10.06C.  You can use this version with MS
C 4.0, 5.0, or 5.1.  C-ISAM is also available for just about every
flavor of UNIX.

If you decide you need a full database later on, the full SQL product
line is also available in DOS.  ESQL/C (embedded SQL for C) is probably
most likely to fit your needs there.

--
    Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.
         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!