[comp.databases] Unify file formats

ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (09/28/89)

Suppose I have a database under Unify 3.2 on a Unix machine.  Will the
file.db from here work transparently with the identical schema on the
PC implementation?  What about unify.db?  About taking data+schema
from Unify 3.1 on Unix to PC Unify 3.2?

Thanx,

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                                                         Gandalf for President!

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/28/89)

In article <5372@merlin.usc.edu>, ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
> Suppose I have a database under Unify 3.2 on a Unix machine.  Will the
> file.db from here work transparently with the identical schema on the
> PC implementation?  What about unify.db?  About taking data+schema
> from Unify 3.1 on Unix to PC Unify 3.2?

The problem is what machines are you talking about?
If the machines do not store the data in the same format then you need
to process the file.db so that it can be used on the other system.

As far as 3.1 to 3.2, I don't remember any changes to the internal format
of the data in these files.  In fact there isn't even much of a change
to go to unify 4.0 (other than the hash table).

BTW, why are you still using 3.1 and 3.2.  4.0 has minimal changes from
3.2 (as far as your programs are concerned) but allows for better concurrancy
and for lots of SQL bug fixes.

I would hold off on upgrading to UNIFY 2000 because thier compatibility
library is compatible, but with a 600% worse performance that the same
program under UNIFY 4.0.