[comp.databases] FoxPro Introduction

dat_48@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael Silano ) (10/03/89)

Foxpro, Fox Software's answer to Dbase 4 is on the way as announced
in the Foxbase User Newsletter.  Included are:
     - a greatly enhanced report writer
     - a debugger (in the tradition of Borland's on-line debuggers)
     - an on-line manual
     - greatly!! increased speed (faster still than Foxbase 2.11)
     - Fast character based windowing schemes - taken from the
       Macintosh Foxbase interface
     - Can run in under 384K of RAM with no loss of features
     - and a whole host of other features...

I've been using Foxbase for 3 years now after coming from Dbase II and
I swore I would never go back to A-T.

What it doesn't have - an SQL interface, but for all intents and
purposes, neither does DBase 4...

Watch and wait...

Michael Silano
weasel@jhuvms
weasel or dat_48 @jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

coop@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Boris Pelakh) (10/03/89)

In article <2741@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, dat_48@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael Silano ) writes:
> Foxpro, Fox Software's answer to Dbase 4 is on the way as announced
> in the Foxbase User Newsletter.  Included are:
>
> [ List of Features Deleted ]

I have about 5000 line of dBASE IV code. How easy do you think it would be
to convert that to FoxPro ? Especially dBASE IV stuff, such as window commands,
MDX files (I don't use SQL - don't trust it *sigh*) - how will it port ?

Boris Pelakh					"Software - a spell one casts
coop@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu				 on a computer to transform
						 input into errors."
								- Me.

In article <258@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu> coop@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Boris Pelakh) writes:
>In article <2741@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, (Michael Silano ) writes:
>> Foxpro, Fox Software's answer to Dbase 4 is on the way as announced
>> in the Foxbase User Newsletter.  Included are:
>>
>> [ List of Features Deleted ]
>>

>I have about 5000 line of dBASE IV code. How easy do you think it would be
>to convert that to FoxPro ? Especially dBASE IV stuff, such as window commands,
>MDX files (I don't use SQL - don't trust it *sigh*) - how will it port ?

Well, I'm not quite sure.  Foxbase has always been (in the past, that
is) 100 % code compatible with DBase, with very few changes.  I'm not
sure if that will hold for Dbase IV <--> FoxPro - I'll have to look it
up and get back to you...

Michael Silano

bote@csense.UUCP (John Boteler) (10/05/89)

From article <2741@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, by dat_48@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael Silano ):
> Foxpro, Fox Software's answer to Dbase 4 is on the way as announced
> in the Foxbase User Newsletter.

I don't understand.

Is it on the way to your door?

Or are you simply telling us what the literature said?

--
Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote

weasel@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael Silano ) (10/06/89)

>> Foxpro, Fox Software's answer to Dbase 4 is on the way as announced
>> in the Foxbase User Newsletter.
>
>I don't understand.
>
>Is it on the way to your door?
>
>Or are you simply telling us what the literature said?

Well, I'm saying what the literature  said and a rep from Fox Software
said.

They have been reliable in the past.....

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/06/89)

From article <2765@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, by dat_48@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael Silano ):
> In article <258@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu> coop@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Boris Pelakh) writes:
>>In article <2741@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, (Michael Silano ) writes:

> Well, I'm not quite sure.  Foxbase has always been (in the past, that
> is) 100 % code compatible with DBase, with very few changes.  I'm not
> sure if that will hold for Dbase IV <--> FoxPro - I'll have to look it
> up and get back to you...

   Hey does this mean FoxPro is released?

   Do they plan to also release a UNIX/XENIX version, or is that
dependent on SCO again?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  packbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

dat_48@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael Silano ) (10/07/89)

Ok.  Now that I have the original article in front of me, I can
address some of the recent questions that have come up as a result of
my posting...

The source of my information is FoxTalk, billed as "A comprehensive
monthly guide for users of Foxbase+."  It is published by Pinnacle
Publications, with no affiliation to Fox software.

Foxpro has ported the complete Mac interface from its sister produce,
Fox/Mac.  It is a character mode product - it will run on any display,
from a Monochrome Display Adapter, all the way up to a VGA.  FoxPro
will also handle most of the special modes of graphics cards - 132
column, or 50 line VGA.

FoxPro should use a mouse - the Mac interface is designed for a mouse.
It is said that the new package will come with a coupon for a mouse
made by Logitech, for something like half the retail price.

All of the commands can be accessed through an interactive window, or
through the standard line-mode commands.  This is similar to the DBASE
IV operators interface.  You can either say create/database... or
click in the Database area of the menu, click the create menu, and
follow the choices given on screen.

Filters, and complex relations can now be set without touching the
keyboard - it can all be done through the mouse and the command
windows.

The Browse command has been supercharged, so to speak.  You can spilt
it into two different windows, one window can edit, the other window
can display.  You can view up to 4 related databases in the area, and
watch them scroll together.

There is a new editor in Foxpro, taken from the Foxbase+/Mac editor -
it is much faster then the old editor.

An interactive debugger is now included.  Tell FoxPro which
variable/variables you want to watch, and it will display them for you
in the right portion of the window.  In the left portion of the window
is the Trace window (now organized into a window so it doesn't spill
all over the place)  Even with Debugging and Trace activated, Fox may
still have to include a slow-down command, since everything just flies
by.

The report writer is now much revamped and can handle User-Defined
Functions.  If you have ever used R&R relational report writer, the
new report writer is said to resemble it.  A new feature allows you
to preview the report to the screen - with the actual data, not "x"'s
and "9"'s.

FoxPro comes with seven "desk accessories" - they resemble the mac
environment.  A calculator, calendar/Diary,screen capture, ASCII
chart, and puzzle accessories (mac anyone?).  Last but not least,
there is a Filer, which is "a file management tool with capapbilities
comparable to DOS shells available on the market."

And just think - all of this can run on a 512K machine - the code
itself takes 372K.

One noted incompatibility with Dbase IV - FoxPro will not support the
use of multiple index files within one >MDX file until release 1.1.

Windows are now supported in a FAST way.  Program control over the
windows has also been increased.

Thats about all for now - if you have specific questions, mail them to
me.

Michael Silano

dat_48@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu          dat_48@jhunix.BITNET
dat_48@jhunix.UUCP