[comp.databases] foxpro compatibility???

ms7u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael C. Sanders) (10/10/89)

I need some help ...

We are working on upgrading some Dbase 3 code to increase speed and
performance.  We are considering using either Foxbase, Clipper, Dbase 4,
or Foxpro.  The problem is that the current system is quite large and
we do not want to have to rework the code (for compatibility's sake) if
we don't have to.

So --- My main question is what compatibility problems will we run into
when using DBase 3 code on one of the other database programs.

Thank You,

Michael Sanders
ms7u@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (10/11/89)

In article <YZACPC600WB8MDmEVp@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms7u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael C. Sanders) writes:
> I need some help ...
>
> We are working on upgrading some Dbase 3 code to increase speed and
> performance.  We are considering using either Foxbase, Clipper, Dbase 4,
> or Foxpro.  The problem is that the current system is quite large and
> we do not want to have to rework the code (for compatibility's sake) if
> we don't have to.
>
> So --- My main question is what compatibility problems will we run into
> when using DBase 3 code on one of the other database programs.
>
> Thank You,

Foxbase+ 2.0 or 2.1 is *definitely* the way to go.  It will run your dBASE
code WITHOUT you having to rewrite a *SINGLE* line of code.
It will also run it about 2-6 times faster!!
As an added bonus, it gives you an identical dbase programming
environment.  *That's why they got sued by A-T*!!
If you "compile" your application using Foxpcomp, it will run even faster.!
Yes, before I forget, Fox uses its own proprietary index files but it will
automatically reindex any dBASE index that your program needs to use
*ON THE FLY*.  Neat stuff!

I can't recommend clipper, because it is not 100% compatible with dBASE3.

Forget dBASE IV; at least for now.  From what I hear, it is not stable yet!

Foxpro is still vapourware. I havent seen it yet. Also the suggested retail
($795) is too expensive for me. You can get Foxbase+ version 2.1 for about
$190 I beleive!

Hope this helps.

--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
** Writing error-free code MUST be magic! Why else is it sooo difficult to do?

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (10/12/89)

In article <Oct.11.07.49.54.1989.752@yes.rutgers.edu> emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) writes:
>Foxpro is still vapourware. I havent seen it yet. Also the suggested retail
>($795) is too expensive for me. You can get Foxbase+ version 2.1 for about
>$190 I beleive!

I've been quoted an upgrade price from 2.1 to Foxpro of about $250, so
go for 2.1 now and hang around for Pro.  Quick, before it's too late.

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

dat_48@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Michael Silano ) (10/12/89)

In article <2506@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
>In article <Oct.11.07.49.54.1989.752@yes.rutgers.edu> emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) writes:
>>Foxpro is still vapourware. I havent seen it yet. Also the suggested retail
>>($795) is too expensive for me. You can get Foxbase+ version 2.1 for about
>>$190 I beleive!
>
>I've been quoted an upgrade price from 2.1 to Foxpro of about $250, so
>go for 2.1 now and hang around for Pro.  Quick, before it's too late.

FoxBase does indeed have an upgrade program - if you buy 2.1 in the next
few weeks, an upgrade to Foxpro 1.0 will be $195....

FoxPro is not vaporware -> It has been tested by FoxTalk magazine, and
will be reviewed in an upcoming issue of DBMS and PC Magazine...

Fox has never engaged in the vaporware wars and hasn't started yet...

Michael Silano                           = Did you know that life is the
weasel@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu                = leading cause of death???
weasel@jhunix.BITNET                     ======================================

alexis@panix.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (10/12/89)

(Emuleomo) writes:
>In article <YZACPC600WB8MDmEVp@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms7u+@andrew.cmu.edu
>(Michael C. Sanders) writes:
>> [wants to know about dBase 3 compatability with FoxPro]

>Foxbase+ 2.0 or 2.1 is *definitely* the way to go.  It will run your dBASE
>code WITHOUT you having to rewrite a *SINGLE* line of code.
> [many more compliments to fox, nixes clipper, trashes dBase IV]
>
>Foxpro is still vapourware. I havent seen it yet. Also the suggested retail
>($795) is too expensive for me. You can get Foxbase+ version 2.1 for about
>$190 I beleive!

Well, it's *NOT* vapourware. Late-late-betaware is more like it. I and about
1000 other people have it right now. While I haven't been playing with it as
much as I'd like to, I must say that as of three weeks ago it was much more
stable than many released products I've seen. The 'rumor' printed in InfoWorld
that they have upped the max number of simultaneous files to 25 from ten is
also true (actually, it's 26 when you count the help database...). I expect
it to be released by the end of this month, and I expect it to be as close to
perfect as code gets when it's released- I can't tell you how good it was to
hear David Fulton tell an audience of 650 developers that the product wouldn't
be realeased until "you tell us it's ready".

As to how good it is, let's just say it takes all of the great features from
the Mac product and succeeds in implementing them on a character-based
machine. I really didn't think it was possible to do it right, but they have.
In addition there are more enhancements than I can begin to describe.

FoxPro should be 99%+ compatible with dBase III+. Your code may port without
changing a single line. If not, I'd be astonished if it took longer than an
afternoon to port it.

Lastly, that price comparison is unfair in the extreme. Emuleomo quoted FoxPro
list price against FoxBase street price. 'nuff said.

Alexis Rosen
cmcl2!panix!alexis

[By the way, this is the first posting from my new public access site since
we fixed all of our assorted problems. I'm still not sure whether mail from
uunet to cmcl2 will make its way here but if in doubt route via ucbvax,
rutgers, harvard, or philabs.]

brian.loesgen@canremote.uucp (BRIAN LOESGEN) (10/16/89)

ch>I've been quoted an upgrade price from 2.1 to Foxpro of about $250, so
ch>go for 2.1 now and hang around for Pro.  Quick, before it's too late.

I ordered my upgrade from Fox a couple of weeks ago for US$195.

                                ... Brian L.

---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a10 #112