[comp.databases] Using dBaseIII remotely

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) (10/17/89)

	My brother-in-law, who doesn't have access to the net, would like
to run dBaseIII on his PC (clone) at work, and call in from home via
modem and run problems on it.  He has tried using ProComm+ in host mode,
only to find that dBase ignores the serial line and ProComm entirely, and
does reads and writes to the BIOS or the machine directly.
	His question is:  Is there software that will allow him to use
dBaseIII (or FoxBase) remotely?  If so, could you please give me some
pointers I can pass on to him.
	I do not read either of these groups regularly, so please answer
directly, and I will summarize to the net if there are a lot of

adTHANKSvance

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (10/20/89)

In article <3483@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) writes:

>	My brother-in-law, who doesn't have access to the net, would like
>to run dBaseIII on his PC (clone) at work, and call in from home via
>modem and run problems on it.

I have done this using  product called DoorWay, which is shareware, and
available from most good BBS (e.g. Salt Air, home of PCBoard).
This product reads the video RAM directly, and sends out codes to the
remote user to update the changes to the screen.  It works OK with Procomm,
but will work much better with Qmodem, which supports a special Doorway
feature that even allows ALT and scan-code sequences to be sent via
modem as well, not just ASCII.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul