[comp.databases] dBASE memo fields

coop@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Boris Pelakh) (10/18/89)

I have encountered an interesting problem while working with memo fields :

	When I use REPLACE WITH ... ADDITIVE on a memo field, and specify
a string that starts with a CHR(13), dBASE adds the string but does not
start a new line. If, however, I go to edit the record and go into to the
memo field using Ctrl-Home, the field adjusts itself appropriately - line
separation and all - without having to press a single key. I just have
to exit, and everything is fine.

	Now, is there any way to get dBASE to perform this adjustment
without having to edit the field ?

I am working with dBASE IV Ver 1.0

Boris Pelakh
coop@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
pelakh@cerc.wvu.wnet.edu

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (10/25/89)

In article <278@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu>, coop@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Boris Pelakh) writes:
> I have encountered an interesting problem while working with memo fields :
>
> 	When I use REPLACE WITH ... ADDITIVE on a memo field, and specify
> a string that starts with a CHR(13), dBASE adds the string but does not
> start a new line. If, however, I go to edit the record and go into to the
> memo field using Ctrl-Home, the field adjusts itself appropriately - line
> separation and all - without having to press a single key. I just have
> to exit, and everything is fine.
>
> 	Now, is there any way to get dBASE to perform this adjustment
> without having to edit the field ?

Simply start the string with CHR(13)+CHR(10)--i.e., CR/LF.  The memo field
editor recognizes lines ending in either or both; when it writes lines,
it outputs CR/LF.

Hope it helps.

/alastair/