[comp.databases] Sybase Questions

zumbachl@softeng1.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) (10/25/89)

I am very interested in the architecture of Sybase's SQL Server
and Open Server, but have only a vague notion of what they're all about.

Can someone please answer the following questions?

What clients (front-ends) are available for MS-DOS?
If so, what networking is needed on the DOS end?
Will it work with FTP's TCP/IP for DOS?
Will it work with NETBIOS?
How much does it cost?

How much is DB-Library for MS-DOS?

What Protocols/Networks does DB-Net Support?

Is there a client or front-end available for VAX/VMS or Apollo?
How much does it cost?

If I wanted to write a client or front-end for DOS, what would I
need from Sybase?

How does DB-Library interface to the Networking/Communications?

Is source code available for DB-Library or DB-Net available? How much?

How easy is it to port DB-Library or DB-Net to other environments?

Where does Open Server fit in?
How does Open Server allow me to access a DB2 database?

Thank-you.

tim@binky.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (10/26/89)

In article <7@softeng1.UUCP> zumbachl@softeng1.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) writes:

>I am very interested in the architecture of Sybase's SQL Server
>and Open Server, but have only a vague notion of what they're all about.
>
>Can someone please answer the following questions? ...

Sybase can answer all these questions directly (address, etc. below).
Any vendor you are interested in should be able to answer these kinds
of questions, as they address basic factual product information.

I urge anyone with such questions to contact the vendor first, and
go to the net only if more information or user experiences are needed.
It is the vendor's job and interest to answer as completely and accurately
as possible.
-TW
---
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
tim@sybase.com          {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
Voluntary disclaimer: This message is solely my personal opinion.
		      It is not a representation of Sybase, Inc.  OK.

rhoda@mercury.sybase.com (Rhoda Neimand) (10/26/89)

In article <7@softeng1.UUCP> zumbachl@softeng1.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) writes:

>I am very interested in the architecture of Sybase's SQL Server
>and Open Server, but have only a vague notion of what they're all about.
>
>What clients (front-ends) are available for MS-DOS?

Do you mean client applications?  If so, you can write your own using
Sybase's DB-Library (a library of C routines that allow a C application
to converse with SQL Server).  There are also client applications
available like dBASE IV.  I don't have a list of them but there are more.

>If so, what networking is needed on the DOS end?

A DOS DB-Library client can, CURRENTLY, talk to:

	an OS/2 SQL Server over Lan Manager
	an AT&T Unix System V SQL Server over Starlan
	a Sun or Pyramid Unix SQL Server over TCP/IP
		Excelan or PC-NFS
	a VAX SQL Server over DECnet
		CommUnity-DOS or DECnet-DOS

>Will it work with FTP's TCP/IP for DOS?

	soon

>Will it work with NETBIOS?

	DB-Library does not specifically talk NETBIOS

>How much does it cost?

	call Sybase

>What Protocols/Networks does DB-Net Support?

	see above

>Is there a client or front-end available for VAX/VMS or Apollo?

	Sybase does have VAX and Apollo front-ends

>If I wanted to write a client or front-end for DOS, what would I
>need from Sybase?

	PC DB-Library
	PC DB-Net of your choice (see above for list of currently avail)

>How does DB-Library interface to the Networking/Communications?

	DB-Library makes calls into DB-Net.  DB-Net makes calls into
	a network vendors library - some examples: Excelan's Socket
	Library, DECnet-DOS's C Task-To-Task Interface Library, etc.

>Is source code available for DB-Library or DB-Net available? How much?

	call Sybase

>How easy is it to port DB-Library or DB-Net to other environments?

	straightforward

>Where does Open Server fit in?
>How does Open Server allow me to access a DB2 database?

	I'm the PC DB-Library/DB-Net person so I can't answer that, sorry.

>Thank-you.

	You're welcome.
Rhoda Neimand
{sun,lll-tis,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!rhoda -or- rhoda@sybase.com
"I didn't want to, Jim"		  Mr. Spock in _This Side Of Paradise_