[comp.databases] DBASE and MAINFRAMES???

ross@mscf.med.upenn.edu (10/13/89)

Are there any dbase or foxbase compatible software packages that will
run under VMS on VAX computers.

As an alternative, is there any software that allows PCs running
dbase programs to communicate with mainframes.  The idea is to
have the data stored on the mainframe and have a "transparent"
link to the programs running on the PCs.

Thanks for all assistance.
--

			--- Andy Ross ---
                    University of Pennsylvania

michael@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Michael Duebner) (10/15/89)

In article <117@mscf.med.upenn.edu> ross@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:
>Are there any dbase or foxbase compatible software packages that will
>run under VMS on VAX computers.

There is a product called RECITAL, or something close to it....I have seen
ads in DEC Professional for some time now.  Their claim is an easy move from
PC dBase to the VAX without rewriting the code.

I have not used the software and can therefore not tell you if their claims
are on the money.

>As an alternative, is there any software that allows PCs running
>dbase programs to communicate with mainframes.  The idea is to
>have the data stored on the mainframe and have a "transparent"
>link to the programs running on the PCs.

I would presume products such as RAF or DECnet would be able to let you use
the VAX as a file server, therefore keeping your data located on the large
system where it can be backed up on a regular basis.

>Thanks for all assistance.
>--
>
>			--- Andy Ross ---
>                    University of Pennsylvania
>		 Medical School Computer Facility

Michael Duebner	                UUCP : michael@ddsw1.MCS.COM
Tech Svc, Buffalo Grove, IL             	312/541-6550

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (10/19/89)

AT&T distributes DBASE III for the AT&T 3B2.  It seems to be the
"real thing."  You might contact Ashton Tate to see who else has
ported it.  I have used the 3B version  -- it appeared to be as
workable as DBASE ever is.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) (10/20/89)

In article <1160@msa3b.UUCP>, kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

> AT&T distributes DBASE III for the AT&T 3B2.  It seems to be the
> "real thing."  You might contact Ashton Tate to see who else has
> ported it.  I have used the 3B version  -- it appeared to be as
> workable as DBASE ever is.
> Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
> gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Ashton-Tate never updated dBASEIII for AT&T.. In fact, if you look at
the version there, it is really dBASEII 1/2.  This has a lot missing,
that even was in III, not to mention III+.  Ashton-Tate has consistently
"talked" about releasing a UNIX version, and the only reason they did
the AT&T version was a liberal application of money by AT&T.  However,
when AT&T pulled the plug on the UNIX-PC, they also pulled the plug on
dBASE for UNIX.  We finally moved to Foxbase to get dBASE for UNIX.  At
this point, Foxbase is available on about half a dozen platforms.

bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce		bruce@mdi386 tbit+

jbrown@herron.uucp (Jordan Brown) (10/27/89)

In article <165@mdi386.UUCP>, bruce@mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
> Ashton-Tate never updated dBASEIII for AT&T.. In fact, if you look at
> the version there, it is really dBASEII 1/2.

The original 3b version was, indeed, dBASE II 1/2.  (I believe it
was labelled 2.4E for various obscure reasons.)  The UNIX PC version
was a full dBASE III.  I think I'm in a position to know; I did a large
part of that port.  I don't know whether a full III was ever released
for the 3b series.

I'm one of the first to jump on A-T about UNIX dBASE, but I prefer to
keep everything truthful...