[comp.databases] Indexes on FoxBase

ms7u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael C. Sanders) (10/27/89)

Is there any backdoor method to increase the number of open index files
above the FoxBase limit of 7?
We are running into problems having to open and close databases in loops
due to the number of indexes we have.

Thank You,

Michael Sanders
ms7u@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

timk@xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) (10/30/89)

In article <EZG8XDK00WB4Mpb0QT@andrew.cmu.edu> ms7u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael C. Sanders) writes:
>Is there any backdoor method to increase the number of open index files
>above the FoxBase limit of 7?
>We are running into problems having to open and close databases in loops
>due to the number of indexes we have.

The easiest way to do that would be to split the database into two databases
by fields, and then do the indexing on the two respective databases with a
SET RELATION to keep the record pointers between the two the same.

I would visualize the implimentation so:

Original database has fields A,B,C,D,E,F,G

new database 1 would have fields A,B,C,D
New database 2 would have fields D,E,F,G
set relation to recno() into <database 1>

This split of databases by fields would be done according to how the index keys
are setup and which fields they depend on.

You would have the first batch of indexes on the fields in the first database,
and the second batch of indexs on the second database. Depending on which
database you  had active at a given time would dicatate the direction you'd
have the "set relation" command setup.

Hope this helps!

|Timothy D. Kuehn	       			       timk@xenitec.on.ca     |
|TDK Consulting Services			       !watmath!xenitec!timk  |
|871 Victoria St. North, Suite 217A					      |
|Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2B 3S4 		       (519)-741-3623 	      |
|DOS/Xenix - SW/HW. uC, uP, DBMS. 		       Satisfaction Guaranteed|