[comp.databases] Stupid question Re: client/server model

mjr@welch.jhu.edu (mjr) (11/10/89)

	One thing I have often heard in the client server argument is that
it is good because it lets you get around the interferin' operating system,
and it is bad because you wind up having to re-invent the operating system.

	So, my question is: Why hasn't anyone made the server the operating
system ? Make the data server + TCP/IP + device drivers + glue the OS, boot
directly into that, and let the thing just sit and listen to a port for
requests.

	Minuses: device drivers would need to be written.
		 dedicated machine needed.

	Plusses: no operating system portability issues to worry about.
		 performance ?

	Obviously, I am oversimplifying terribly, but you get the idea.
--
	He was in his room half awake, half asleep. The walls of the room
seemed to alter angles, elongating and shrinking alternately, then twisting

mao@eden (Mike Olson) (11/11/89)

i would have sent this reply directly to marcus, but thought that it was
of sufficiently general interest to warrant a posting.

In article <1989Nov10.015843.358@welch.jhu.edu>, mjr@welch.jhu.edu (mjr)
writes:

>	So, my question is: Why hasn't anyone made the server the operating
> system ? Make the data server + TCP/IP + device drivers + glue the OS, boot
> directly into that, and let the thing just sit and listen to a port for
> requests.

several companies have done exactly that.  sharebase (formerly britton lee)
and teradata are two examples.  both manufacture dedicated database machines
that run a special-purpose OS supporting operations that database systems
need.  there's less discussion of their products because most people have
chosen a software-only solution.

emotions on the software-versus-hardware issue run high; if you want my
opinions, send me mail and i'll discuss it off-line.

for the record:  i'm a former employee of britton lee.

					mike olson
					postgres research group
					uc berkeley
					mao@postgres.Berkeley.EDU

Bob_Campbell.ZORRO@gateway.qm.apple.Com (Bob Campbell) (11/11/89)

writes:
>         So, my question is: Why hasn't anyone made the server the
operating
> system ? Make the data server + TCP/IP + device drivers + glue the OS,
boot
> directly into that, and let the thing just sit and listen to a port for
> requests.

This sounds a lot like the direction Sybase is going, anyone from Sybase
care to comment?

I don't have a cute trailer**************
Applelink: BOBC (BOBC@Applelink.apple.com)
Quickmail: Bob Campbell@ZORRO (Bob_Campbell.ZORRO@gateway.qm.apple.com)

tim@binky.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (11/14/89)

In article <19421@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> mao@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Olson) writes:
>i would have sent this reply directly to marcus, but thought that it was
>of sufficiently general interest to warrant a posting.
>
>In article <1989Nov10.015843.358@welch.jhu.edu>, mjr@welch.jhu.edu (mjr)
>writes:
>
>>	So, my question is: Why hasn't anyone made the server the operating
>> system ? Make the data server + TCP/IP + device drivers + glue the OS, boot
>> directly into that, and let the thing just sit and listen to a port for
>> requests.
>
>several companies have done exactly that.  sharebase (formerly britton lee)
>and teradata are two examples....

Sybase, too, however ours is a system designed to meet National
Computer Security Center (NCSC) B2 security assurance and features
criteria (meaning it would be suitable for handling fairly highly
classified data for multiple users at different security clearances.)

It is still in development.  I gave a paper, called "A Trusted Database
Machine Kernel for Nonproprietary Hardware," on it at the 12th NCSC
conference in October.  A basic difference between our approach and
those of BLI and Teradata is that our system is targeted toward the VAX
line, and conceivably to other architectures.  Although VAX is made
only by a single vendor, hence could be called "proprietary", it's got
a much greater installed base than BLI or Tera., and DEC does not own
this software.
-TW
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
tim@sybase.com          {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
		This message is solely my personal opinion.
		It is not a representation of Sybase, Inc.  OK.