[comp.databases] Seeking info on data-merging in heterogeneous databases

resnik@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (11/19/89)

I'm looking for references to work on querying independent,
heterogeneous databases.  I know there is research out there on
database integration, creating a "monolithic" global interface in which
queries are expressed in a universal language; however, that's not
what I'm after.  Rather, I'm seeking references to research along the
lines of what's been called the "federated" approach, in which no
global schema is created in advance.

Since responses may not be of general interest, can I suggest
e-mailing responses to me at resnik@grad1.cis.upenn.edu? I'll post a
summary of the responses I receive.

Thanks!

  Philip Resnik
  resnik@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

resnik@grad1.cis.upenn.edu
Computer and Information Science, Moore School of Engineering
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104

jack@odi.com (Jack Orenstein) (11/20/89)

In article <17130@netnews.upenn.edu> resnik@grad1.cis.upenn.edu () writes:
>I'm looking for references to work on querying independent,
>heterogeneous databases.  I know there is research out there on
>database integration, creating a "monolithic" global interface in which
>queries are expressed in a universal language; however, that's not
>what I'm after.  Rather, I'm seeking references to research along the
>lines of what's been called the "federated" approach, in which no
>global schema is created in advance.

Check out the work on the Multibase project, done several years ago by
the research division of CCA, (now Xerox Advanced Information
Technology). There were papers published in various conferences
(SIGMOD, VLDB), and XAIT can also provide you with technical reports.
Write to them at 4 Cambridge Center, Cambridge MA, 02142.

Multibase did use a global schema, but it was created after the fact.

Jack Orenstein
Object Design, Inc.