[comp.databases] DB Procedures

brunjes@rtech.rtech.com (roy brunjes) (11/28/89)

In article <7189@sybase.sybase.com> coop@phobos.UUCP (John Cooper) writes:
>I believe Sybase is the only RDBMS that has stored procedures.  For those who
>aren't familiar with them in general:
> Stored procedures are batches of SQL code which can be created and stored in
> a database ...

Nope.  Not quite true.  INGRES has offered stored DB procedures for quite some
time now (since V 6.1), and in fact, with V 6.3 (recently announced) you can
add rules that are automatically invoked when the affected column of a given
table is written to (via insert, update, or delete SQL statement).  You are
not limited to the number of rules you can specify for a table.

This is just one of MANY new features in V 6.3 of INGRES -- The Intelligent
Database.

Roy Brunjes
INGRES Corp.

Disclaimer:  These opinions are entirely my own and not those of
             INGRES Corporation.

mjr@mimsy.umd.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) (11/28/89)

In article <4167@rtech.rtech.com> brunjes@rtech.UUCP (roy brunjes) writes:
>This is just one of MANY new features in V 6.3 of INGRES -- The Intelligent
>Database.

	Is this some new use for the word "Intelligent" ? What's so
intelligent about INGRES ?
--
	He was in his room half awake, half asleep. The walls of the room
seemed to alter angles, elongating and shrinking alternately, then twisting

tim@binky.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (11/29/89)

In article <4167@rtech.rtech.com> brunjes@rtech.UUCP (roy brunjes) writes:
>In article <7189@sybase.sybase.com> coop@phobos.UUCP (John Cooper) writes:
>>I believe Sybase is the only RDBMS that has stored procedures....
>
>Nope.  Not quite true.  INGRES has offered stored DB procedures for quite some
>time now (since V 6.1),

Granted.

>and in fact, with V 6.3 (recently announced) you can
>add rules that are automatically invoked when the affected column of a given
>table is written to (via insert, update, or delete SQL statement).  You are
>not limited to the number of rules you can specify for a table.

>This is just one of MANY new features in V 6.3 of INGRES -- [ product
> slogan deleted ]

In general, it is not appropriate to take a selling tone in comp.databases
articles.  This is a technical forum.  If you think Ingres is good,
please show it in substance by discussing its features and comparing
them with other vendors' implementations of those features.

For example, Sybase has had both rules and stored procedures for 2 1/2
years.  Rules can be bound to table columns or datatypes.  I'm
interested in how Ingres rules work versus Sybase rules and triggers.
Anyone care to explain?  Etc.

We can already read advertising in sales brochures and the full-page
trade-rag advertisements.

>Roy Brunjes
>INGRES Corp.

-TW

Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
tim@sybase.com          {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
		This message is solely my personal opinion.
		It is not a representation of Sybase, Inc.  OK.

davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg) (12/01/89)

In article <7239@sybase.sybase.com> tim@binky.UUCP (Tim Wood) writes:
>In article <4167@rtech.rtech.com> brunjes@rtech.UUCP (roy brunjes) writes:
>
>>This is just one of MANY new features in V 6.3 of INGRES -- [ product
>> slogan deleted ]
>
>In general, it is not appropriate to take a selling tone in comp.databases
>articles.

Issue #1:  The above comment is comical in light of the recent blitz of
"client/server" postings that you guys have been posting.  Last time I
read one of your ads "client/server" was featured rather largely.  Roy
mentions intelligent database once, and you accuse him of taking  a
"selling tone!"  Unbelievable.

In fact, I so agree with your overall message of not selling on the net,
that I might suggest that you to try it yourself.

If people want technical information on the intelligent database you can
call Ingres at 1-800-4-INGRES, and ask for the product data sheets which
discuss the features and the motivation for them.

Dave Kellogg

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (12/01/89)

In article <4198@rtech.rtech.com>, davek@rtech.rtech.com (Dave Kellogg) writes:

> If people want technical information on the intelligent database you can
> call Ingres at 1-800-4-INGRES, and ask for the product data sheets which
> discuss the features and the motivation for them.

  ... and who do I write to to get plain-vanilla-flavored-old-fashioned-rela-
  tional-dbms Version 6.0  ???
  (not being one of the elite who own a VMS machine.....)

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

tim@binky.sybase.com (Tim Wood) (12/02/89)

In article <4198@rtech.rtech.com> davek@rtech.UUCP (Dave Kellogg) writes:
>In article <7239@sybase.sybase.com> tim@binky.UUCP (Tim Wood) writes:
>>
>>In general, it is not appropriate to take a selling tone in comp.databases
>>articles.
>
>Issue #1:  The above comment is comical in light of the recent blitz of
>"client/server" postings that you guys have been posting.  Last time I
>read one of your ads "client/server" was featured rather largely.  Roy
>mentions intelligent database once, and you accuse him of taking  a
>"selling tone!"  Unbelievable.

Client/server is a specific technical concept.  No one owns it, no one
can claim they own it.  We (and not just Sybasers) are just discussing its
technical attributes.  The fact that we like it and our product has it
doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to discuss it independent of the
product, at least.  This is quite different from the "intelligent
database" slogan, which doesn't express a specific technical concept.
How do you measure "intelligence" in a database?

>In fact, I so agree with your overall message of not selling on the net,
>that I might suggest that you to try it yourself.

It's meaningless to try to do something I'm already doing.

>If people want technical information on the intelligent database you can
>call Ingres at 1-800-4-INGRES, and ask for the product data sheets which
>discuss the features and the motivation for them.
>Dave Kellogg

Dave, seems to me you're not trying.... ;-)