[comp.databases] Acius 4th Dimension

fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller 10-Oct-1989 1537) (10/11/89)

When 4D creates a (input) layout for you what gets displayed
for each field is:

	Name	|_______________________

which is really a rectangle 1 unit larger in both X&Y than the object
generated by adding a field placed 1 unit down and to the left of the
field object.

If I want to add a new field to the layout how can I easily get that
rectangle generated.  Is there some way to have 4D generate it?  If I
do CMD-1 the rectangle generated is 2 units larger in both the X&Y which
when display will show a rectangle instead of the sideways L shaped
object.

Also with 2.0 one can nudge the position with the arrow keys.  Is there
anyway to change the size by using the keys.  Trying to change something
by one unit using the mouse is a guessing game.

Using V2.0.5.

---
Ed Fortmiller		fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com
			--or-- ...!decwrl!hpscad.dec.com!fortmiller
			--or-- fortmiller%hpscad.dec@decwrl.dec.com
---

layne@nasturtium.cis.ohio-state.edu (eric b layne) (10/11/89)

In article 37671 of comp.sys.mac: Ed Fortmiller writes:

>When 4D creates a (input) layout for you what gets displayed
>for each field is:

>	Name	|_______________________
>
>which is really a rectangle 1 unit larger in both X&Y than the object
>generated by adding a field placed 1 unit down and to the left of the
>field object.
>
>If I want to add a new field to the layout how can I easily get that
>rectangle generated.  Is there some way to have 4D generate it?  If I
>do CMD-1 the rectangle generated is 2 units larger in both the X&Y which
>when display will show a rectangle instead of the sideways L shaped
>object.

Probably the best way to add a new field is to select a field all ready in
the layout (while using the pointer tool, drag a box around an existing
field and rectangle and text).  And click the dulpicate button (second to
last row of icons on the left, I think).

Then double click on the field and select the new field name.  And chose
the A tool and click on the text and type the new field name.  This way
everything stays lined up.

>Also with 2.0 one can nudge the position with the arrow keys.  Is there
>anyway to change the size by using the keys.  Trying to change something
>by one unit using the mouse is a guessing game.

Not that I know of, anyone?

>Using V2.0.5.

Is there going to be a V2.0.5.?

-Eric Layne

fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller 11-Oct-1989 1215) (10/11/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <66181@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, layne@nasturtium.cis.ohio-state.edu

>In article 37671 of comp.sys.mac: Ed Fortmiller writes:
>
>>When 4D creates a (input) layout for you what gets displayed
>>for each field is:

>>      Name    |_______________________
>>
>>which is really a rectangle 1 unit larger in both X&Y than the object
>>generated by adding a field placed 1 unit down and to the left of the
>>field object.
>>
>>If I want to add a new field to the layout how can I easily get that
>>rectangle generated.  Is there some way to have 4D generate it?  If I
>>do CMD-1 the rectangle generated is 2 units larger in both the X&Y which
>>when display will show a rectangle instead of the sideways L shaped
>>object.
>
>Probably the best way to add a new field is to select a field all ready in
>the layout (while using the pointer tool, drag a box around an existing
>field and rectangle and text).  And click the dulpicate button (second to
>last row of icons on the left, I think).
>
>Then double click on the field and select the new field name.  And chose
>the A tool and click on the text and type the new field name.  This way
>everything stays lined up.
>

>>Also with 2.0 one can nudge the position with the arrow keys.  Is there
>>anyway to change the size by using the keys.  Trying to change something
>>by one unit using the mouse is a guessing game.
>
>Not that I know of, anyone?
>
>>Using V2.0.5.
>
>Is there going to be a V2.0.5.?
>
>-Eric Layne

Duplicating is fine if the one you want is the same size as an existing
one.  My new approach is to create a new layout for the file
and cut and paste the needed field into the layout that I need it in and
then delete the new layout.

Doing a GET INFO on my 4D shows V2.0.5.  Anyone have anything later
than V2.0.5?

---

xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (10/12/89)

>Doing a GET INFO on my 4D shows V2.0.5.  Anyone have anything later
>than V2.0.5?

I also received 2.0.5.  This in a direct upgrade from ACIUS.  My interest
is in bug-fixes.  Does ACIUS provide regular bug-fix versions, and ~rif so
are they provided or do I need to needle the tech support people for
info on this (I don't have CompuServe access.)

My interest is in some apparent bombs lurking in 4D V2.0  For example, in
one database I have set up, an attempt to select records based on city
name will reliably cause the program to quit under multi-finder (or
crash the machine in regular finder.)  I like some features of it, but it still
seems too new - I'd like to get a more mature version.

--
Bill Douglass, TCADA

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson

yvw@gmdzi.UUCP (Yvo Van Wezemael) (10/12/89)

From article <8910111615.AA19900@decwrl.dec.com>, by fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller  11-Oct-1989 1215):

> Doing a GET INFO on my 4D shows V2.0.5.  Anyone have anything later
> than V2.0.5?

4th Dimension 2.0 was just released here in Germany. The version I got
- both english (international) and german version - has version number
V2.0.7., but there aren't any release notes concerning changes between
2.0.x and 2.0.7.

--- Yvo Van Wezemael

--
Yvo Van Wezemael:
	German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)

hargrove@harlie.sgi.com (Mark Hargrove) (11/27/89)

In article <36796@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>>Anyone know what the latest of 4D is?  I have 2.0.5 but have heard that
>>maybe 2.0.8 is shipping.  If that is true does anyone know what bugs
>>are fixed by 2.0.8?
>
>There's definitely a 2.0.8. I've heard of a 2.0.9 but haven't seen it. And
>Acius, to my knowledge, hasn't released an official list of patches.

We have version 2.0.9, which is just 2.0.8 with some sort of a fix
applied to broken sorting.

Mark Hargrove                                       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
email: hargrove@harlie.corp.sgi.com                 2011 N.Shoreline Drive
voice: 415-962-3642                                 Mt.View, CA 94039

fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com (Ed Fortmiller 27-Nov-1989 1033) (11/27/89)

Anyone know what the latest of 4D is?  I have 2.0.5 but have heard that
maybe 2.0.8 is shipping.  If that is true does anyone know what bugs
are fixed by 2.0.8?

---
Ed Fortmiller		fortmiller@hpscad.dec.com
			--or-- ...!decwrl!hpscad.dec.com!fortmiller
			--or-- fortmiller%hpscad.dec@decwrl.dec.com
---

>Anyone know what the latest of 4D is?  I have 2.0.5 but have heard that
>maybe 2.0.8 is shipping.  If that is true does anyone know what bugs
>are fixed by 2.0.8?

There's definitely a 2.0.8. I've heard of a 2.0.9 but haven't seen it. And
Acius, to my knowledge, hasn't released an official list of patches.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

When it comes to matters ourside your specialties, you are consistently and
brilliantly stupid [....] with respect to matters you haven't studied and
have had no experience basing your opinions on casual gossip [....] and
plain misinformation -- unsuspected because you haven't attempted to verify it.
	-- Robert Heinlein to J.W. Campbell, Jr. 1941

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (12/02/89)

In article <36796@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Anyone know what the latest of 4D is?  I have 2.0.5 but have heard that
>>maybe 2.0.8 is shipping.  If that is true does anyone know what bugs
>>are fixed by 2.0.8?
>
>There's definitely a 2.0.8. I've heard of a 2.0.9 but haven't seen it. And
>Acius, to my knowledge, hasn't released an official list of patches.

We have 2.0.9. There was some sort of diskette duplication error with
2.0.8, causing 2.0.8 to crash. It was replaced by 2.0.9. The update
notice says that a bug associated with changing the permanent sort
order for a file has been fixed. The best part of the fix, in my
opinion, is that objects with attached scripts are visually
differentiated from objects without scripts by a black triangle in the
upper left corner. There's still no cross-reference utility, and you
still can't delete fields or files from the database structure.

Performance is still poor in some areas--we deleted 304,000 records
from the database, and had to let the program run overnight to complete
the deletion.

-- Brian
====
    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    Assistant Research Professor (hat #1)
    University of Hawaii/ Cancer Research Center of Hawaii,
      and
    CEO (hat #2)
    Martin Information Systems, Ltd.
    1103 9th Avenue, Suite 203
    Honolulu, Hawai`i 96816-2403
    Voice (808) 733-2003
    Fax (808) 733-2011

ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin
INTERNET: bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu