[comp.databases] SQL

cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) (08/10/89)

Has anyone with a significant sized project converted a C database library
to SQL? I love the high level, power, and portablility of SQL but due to
performance setbacks, "WE" cannot use SQL.

Try some benchmarks with more than 10 users sometime. Remember, the end user
cares only about the performance (raw speed) of their applications. They
could care less about power, portability, and maintainablility of source.

Disclaimer: this opinion assumes the users do not get into development
            for themselves.

Remember, the users are the funders...

XXX
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
jest  another subjective opinion

jkrueger@dgis.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (08/12/89)

cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) writes:

>Remember, the end user cares only about the performance (raw speed) of
>their applications. They could care less about power, portability, and
>maintainablility of source.  Disclaimer: this opinion assumes the users
>do not get into development for themselves.

Users care about access, correctness, usefulness, cost, and
performance, in about that order.  If you think otherwise, ask
yourself why most people don't buy high performance cars.

-- Jon

emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (08/16/89)

jkrueger@dgis.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) writes:

>Users care about access, correctness, usefulness, cost, and
>performance, in about that order.  If you think otherwise, ask
>yourself why most people don't buy high performance cars.

Because they don't have the **MONEY**!

I would love to drive a BMW 735i but I can only afford a Toyota.( not Lexus)!

Besides, I think the order is correctness, performance/flashiness, cost etc..
This is from personal experience (from developing Foxbase/Ingres based applications!)

--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
** Research is what I'm doing when I dont know what I'm doing! **

jkrueger@dgis.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (08/16/89)

Emuleomo writes:
>I think the order is correctness, performance/flashiness, cost etc..

No argument.  In real life the ordering varies with the application.
My point is that performance is just one consideration, usually
not even high on the list, seldom first, never the only one.

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dgis.daitc.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Isn't it interesting that the first thing you do with your advanced powerful

rleroux1@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Roger Leroux) (08/18/89)

In article <21@dgis.daitc.mil> jkrueger@dgis.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) writes:
>cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) writes:
>
>Users care about access, correctness, usefulness, cost, and
>performance, in about that order.  If you think otherwise, ask
>yourself why most people don't buy high performance cars.

Close, but not quite. Using your car analogy: the purchaser wants the
highest possible performance from his car given a set of constraints.
Example, a large family, hence need a van or station wagon. :-) So your
selection of constraints is quite correct, but performance would still
be paramount to _most_ users.

Roger
--

Roger Leroux                                rleroux1@uvicctr.UVic.CA