[comp.databases] Simple File Transfer

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (12/02/89)

I have what I considered to be a trivial problem.  However, I have been
unable to solve it, much to my chagrin.  I am a Fairly experienced user of
RBase and a complete novice at Dbase III plus.  I am having trouble putting
information into a Dbase III plus database.

I need to translate a download which is in ASCII to a standard database that
we use for order tracking.  The problem is that the download is missing a
few fields we use for reference and has a few extra the mainframe people add.
Getting rid of the extras is simple (I think), just copy using fields and don't
include the ones I don't want, but how in the hell do I add fields to a
database once it has been defined????

This is easy in Rbase, is this impossible in db?  Should I use another method
altogether?  Has anyone out there had this same problem, or am I going nuts?
I would think that this type of application would be quite common, but
nobody here has ever done anything like this before.

Please e-mail and I'll summarize if there is interest.

Thanks in advance.

Alex Jauch
UCI, AIS
ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu
(714) 856-8671

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (12/06/89)

In article <2576D91B.25986@paris.ics.uci.edu>, ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) writes:
> I have what I considered to be a trivial problem.
> ...how in the hell do I add fields to a
> database once it has been defined????

Sorry that this is not more obvious; it is, however, very easy to do.  If
you have a dbf file with fields a,b,c and you want to add d and e, just:

	CREATE Temp  && with fields a,b,c,d,e
	USE Temp
	APPEND FROM Master

Temp.dbf now contains the data in the original master file with the extra
fields added.  Note that the ordering of fields in Temp is not important,
but the exact names are--only fields with the same names are copied.

Hope it helps.

/alastair/