[comp.databases] Request for Info: Journaling Ingres System Catalogs

osfile@rd-atlas.UUCP (OS File User) (11/30/89)

We are trying to use the Ingres journalization facility to trap changes we
make to our database structures.  We want to be able to use information from
the journal file to feed an external data dictionary.  We have not been able
to cause the system to journalize changes to the system tables (e.g. the
attribute table).

Specifically, we enabled journaling on the attribute table.  Then we did
a checkpoint.  We then created a new table and added some attributes (fields)
to it.  This caused changes to the attribute table which should
have been journalized.  However, when we used the auditdb command, we were
told the journal file was empty.

We tried journaling one of the user tables using the same method, which
worked as expected.

If you have any advice, please send e-mail to:
--
Tom Kringstad, MN10-1439      Internet: krings%rd-atlas@src.honeywell.com
Honeywell Inc. MN 55422, USA  UUCP: uunet!src.honeywell.com!rd-atlas!krings

Thanks in advance.

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (12/07/89)

osfile@rd-atlas.UUCP (OS File User) writes:

>We are trying to use the Ingres journalization facility to trap changes we
>make to our database structures.  We want to be able to use information from
>the journal file to feed an external data dictionary.  We have not been able
>to cause the system to journalize changes to the system tables (e.g. the
>attribute table).

Journalling logs changes to data, not structure.

There are simpler mechanisms to do what you want.  E.g., save
your SQL scripts that define schema ("create table") as ordinary
files, and source control those files.

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Isn't it interesting that the first thing you do with your