[comp.databases] Snapshots of an Associative Space

ravi@maui.cs.ucla.edu (12/08/89)

I am trying to figure out how a snapshot of an entire B+ or other binary
tree can be taken. The snapshot would be for the purposes of backup's etc.
The objective is to minimize the blocking of other readers and writers.
Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.

Thanks

ravi
ravi@iag.hp.com
408 447 4552 (work)

eichmann@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Dave Eichmann,316K,42,) (12/08/89)

From article <29837@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, by ravi@maui.cs.ucla.edu:

> I am trying to figure out how a snapshot of an entire B+ or other binary
> tree can be taken. The snapshot would be for the purposes of backup's etc.
> The objective is to minimize the blocking of other readers and writers.
> Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.

  You might consider the B-link tree [Lehman & Yao, TODS, Dec. 81].  Since
the snapshotter is a reader, it will never be blocked.  The next question
is whether the snapshot version needs to be an *exact* copy, or whether it
is OK to just contain the same elements.  [Kung & Lehman, TODS, Sept. 80]
treats binary trees.

- Dave
------
David Eichmann
Dept. of Statistics and Computer Science
West Virginia University                  Phone: (304) 293-3607
Morgantown, WV  26506                     Email: eichmann@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

badri@athos.rutgers.edu (Br Badrinath) (12/12/89)