[comp.databases] BRS/Search

nightjob@well.UUCP (09/25/87)

This site has been investigating a full text retrieval database product
called BRS/SEARCH from BRS Information Technologies in New York; it runs
with Mass-11 Release 7A (on VAX under VMS).  The folks who went to the
sales talks happened to find out that there was 'this net thing' and
asked me to see if I could get any comments on the product.  Mail should
reach me at

  {known space} !hplabs OR !ptsfa OR !lll.crg!well!nightjob

Thanks for helping educate a new generation of administrators about the net.

moseley@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Moseley) (12/04/89)

Trying to find out if anyone has a simple way to store word
files in the BRS text retrieval system. The files should
not be text only. We want to preserve the formatting, (bold
undeline etc).
(note by word I mean Microsoft word).
The Brs system is running in the sco xenix operating system.

Appreciate, any ideas for other BRS users.

Reply to: moseleyp@zen.vuw.ac.nz
or moses@rs1.vuw.ac.nz.

Thanks
philip.

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (12/06/89)

In article <1989Dec4.082749.17245@comp.vuw.ac.nz> moseley@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Philip Moseley) writes:
>Trying to find out if anyone has a simple way to store word
>files in the BRS text retrieval system. The files should
>not be text only. We want to preserve the formatting, (bold
>undeline etc).

To solve this problem with other word processing packages, we
wrote a set of C programs which scan through the Word files
and enclose special codes (such as underlining, font changes,
indents, etc.) in skipbegin and skipend strings.  This allows
BRS to ignore these codes for searching and display purposes,
whilst retaining them unchanged in the database.

In addition, some BRS load labels (e.g. ..TXT:) must be
inserted at appropriate places within the text to group
your documents into paragraphs (e.g. hard CR's) and also to
split off any document summary information.

An alternative approach involves storing the MS-WORD document
as a "compound" document.  This means storing a pointer to
the original Word file(s) which are retained.  The pointer
will contain the full path including network node and
security levels.  Optionally, portions of the Word document
can be automatically loaded into BRS for searching purposes.

When the document is retrieved for editing, Word will be
invoked, and passed the full path for the original document.
When saved, the text can again be reloaded into BRS automatically.

The suggestions described above have not yet been implemented
in a commercial system, although prototypes do exist.
Implementation must await customer request.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (12/13/89)

In article <276@csnz.co.nz> paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>[description of externally stored docuents]

>The suggestions described above have not yet been implemented
>in a commercial system, although prototypes do exist.

There are other (non-BRS) databases which have this sort of facility.
I had a discussion with STATUS which appeared to indicate that they could
also cope with the files being compressed.

>Implementation must await customer request.
Not always.  Otherwise there wouldn't be any new products, right?

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)