[comp.databases] Affordable Database

ssdken@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) (12/12/89)

My company is developing a new application which we hope to sell to lots
of people on lots of different operating system/hardware combinations.
I have contacted most of the 'big' names in database products ie. Oracle,
Ingres, etc..., and have found them to have 1 thing in common: huge bucks
for run-time licensing and huger bucks for a development system!

Does an 'affordable' database package exist that meets these criteria:

  1. Relational
  2. Portable to at minimum Unix and Vax/VMS (available today)
  3. C access through embedded SQL or other high level access routines.

Our applications will sell for around 10K on a Vax, and 6K on a Sun 4, so
affordable run times fees might be $0 (yea) to well less than $1000.

Any recommends, or reality checks will be appreciated!

				Ken Nelson
				Project Manager
				Software Systems Design
				3267 Padua Avenue
				Claremont, CA 91711
				(714) 624-3402

deac@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Deac Lancaster) (12/14/89)

In article <3550@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ssdken@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) writes:

>Does an 'affordable' database package exist that meets these criteria:
>
>  1. Relational
>  2. Portable to at minimum Unix and Vax/VMS (available today)
>  3. C access through embedded SQL or other high level access routines.

	I'm aware of a product called DATAFLEX that costs under $1000.
It has C access via embedded DML that is not SQL.  It runs on micros,
but I believe it is portable to UNIX and Vax/VMS.  Tel (913) 268-5013.

	A.  Does anyone out there know for sure about portability?

	B.  Does anyone have experience pro or con wrt Dataflex?

Ciao,
Deac Lancaster