[comp.databases] The Corporate Name shuffle

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/15/89)

In article <4289@rtech.rtech.com> robf@squid.UUCP (Robert Fair (ECSC Tech Support)) writes:

>INGRES comes from  Ingres Corperation (what was RTI). The name changed
>earlier this year.

Can anyone explain to me what's the corporate mentality of renaming the
WHOLE COMPANY after just one if its products (even if its the biggest
product).

Before Ingress changed, Informix used to be Relational Database
Systems Inc., and Empress used to be called Rhodnius.

It seems this affliction has been at its worst lately with Unix database
companies. You don't see Ashton-Tate in a rush to call itself dBaseCo.

Does a company really think the maketplace is so stupid as to base
purchase decisions on the name of the companies?

IS the market that stupid? Brand recognition I understand, but what's
the company name got to do with anything? What's the benefit?
--
  Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
          evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504

dhepner@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dan Hepner) (12/16/89)

>From: eric@pyramid.pyramid.com (Eric Bergan)
>
>	My suggestion is that the only way to assess the performance of
>a database system for your application is to do as accurate a job as you
>can at developing a benchmark which models your application and environment,
>and then run it on the DBMS systems under selection. General benchmarks,
>such as TP1 or DeWitt are only useful if you can understand the relationship
>between the TP1 or DeWitt application model and your own.

Maybe this claim could be even stronger.  General benchmarks are useful
only if you understand not only how the described functionality relates to
desired functionality, but also how vendor's implementation techniques
relate to the planned implementation.

Dan Hepner

markd@rtech.UUCP (Mark P. Diamond) (12/19/89)

From article <25887A2F.775@telly.on.ca>, by evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch):

>>INGRES comes from  Ingres Corperation (what was RTI). The name changed
>>earlier this year.
>
> Can anyone explain to me what's the corporate mentality of renaming the
> WHOLE COMPANY after just one if its products (even if its the biggest
> product).

What do you mean the after only one of our products?  Ingres with its
many options including consulting and training is our only product.
Many people know Ingres, fewer people know who Relational Technology
is/was.  Many times I would meet someone on a plane, tell them
I work for Relational Technolgoy, and they wouldn't know who we
were.  Then mention Ingres and "Oh yes, I have used Ingres quite
a bit."

Mark <>
Mark P. Diamond    {sequent,mtxinu,sun,hoptoad}!rtech!markd markd@rtech.com
"Anyone who believes he understands quantum physics hasn't studied
it long enough." Richard Feynman