[comp.databases] Dbase IV Question

atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) (05/26/89)

I have generated a report in dBASE IV to print on a HP LaserJet Series II.
In the report, I made all the texts bold except for the fields.

Somehow, when I print the report, only the first word on each line of my
report is BOLD. When view on the screen, everything is O.K.

I noticed that when I install dBASE IV, there was only printer drivers for
HP LaserJets (not Series II) . Is this the problem?

If so, does anyone has some other solution?

Thanks
Anthony Tieu

theisen@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Barbara Theisen) (12/22/89)

Our organization is somewhat of a consulting resource for the University of
Wisconsin-Madison campus, and I am passing on a question that someone asked me
about Dbase IV.  I have never used Dbase IV, although I am familiar with
Dbase III, so I hope I get the gist of this right:

THis particular user is trying to import some data from an ascii file (comma
delimited, I believe).  Apparently there is a menu drive way to do this
in Dbase IV.  She selects APPEND, and specifies the format (comma delimited,
or whatever), a menu comes up with a list of files, from which she choses
the correct file, and then (this is the great mystery) she gets a rectangular
box that has a pair of numbers in it (it may actually be a pair of
columns, she described it over the phone, and was getting a little agitated,
because this was what she didn't understand).  There is one selection bar
that covers both numbers, and you can vary the numbers as a pair but not
individually (either you move up and down the columns, or you increment/
decrement, but the numbers vary together).  She would like to know what
she is supposed to be selecting at this point.  My first thought was that
this was some way to specify the range of records, but you apparently can't
leave the left number at say, 1, and increase or decrease the right number
the the value you want.  And apparently, there is no choice that matches
what would be the full range of records in her file (1 to 300, in her case).
After disavowing any knowledge of Dbase IV, (I don't even have access to a
copy), I remembered that there is a wealth of knowledge available
out on the net.  Does anyone recognize what this selection box might be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

                           Barbara Theisen

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (12/23/89)

In article <2849@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> theisen@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Barbara Theisen) writes:
>THis particular user is trying to import some data from an ascii file (comma
>delimited, I believe).  Apparently there is a menu drive way to do this
>in Dbase IV.  She selects APPEND, and specifies the format (comma delimited,
>or whatever), a menu comes up with a list of files, from which she choses
>the correct file, and then (this is the great mystery) she gets a rectangular
>box that has a pair of numbers in it... [text omitted]

The menu system is asking you to choose which character in the input file
is used to delimit fields.  The rectangular box is a list of all ASCII
characters, represented three ways: the first column in the decimal value,
the second is the hex value, and the third is the printable form of the
character.  So if the input file is comma delimited, position to the line
containing "44 2C ," or, for tab delimited, the line "9 9 @" (disclaimer:
it's not really an @, but it plays one over Un*x). The equivalent dot
prompt command is "APPEND FROM C:\FILENAME.TXT TYPE DELIMITED WITH ,"
which will be displayed as the append proceeds.

I have entered this as two bugs, one against the documentation, and one
on the help system text.

--Cy--        cy@dbase.a-t.COM