[comp.databases] Announcing a database design and normalization tool

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (12/20/89)

As there's been some discussion here about normalization, I thought I'd
mention that my company has recently introduced a database design tool
that produces a normalized database in SQL script form.  The product is
called the Canonizer (for canonical synthesis).  For more information,
see message <29724@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> in comp.newprod, send email to
canon@6sigma.UUCP, or call 1-800-827-4462.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup...
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (12/21/89)

From article <343@6sceng.UUCP>, by blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews):
> As there's been some discussion here about normalization, I thought I'd
> mention that my company has recently introduced a database design tool
> that produces a normalized database in SQL script form.  The product is
> called the Canonizer (for canonical synthesis).  For more information,

I must have missed the discussion on normalization.  I have literature
on that Canonizer but I still am not clear on normalization, although from
what I can gather it sounds like a swell thing.  Could anybody point me
in the direction of some literature on the subject of normalization?  Thanks.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.

dberg@cod.NOSC.MIL (David I. Berg) (12/31/89)

In article <1989Dec20.163624.11413@aqdata.uucp>, sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
> From article <343@6sceng.UUCP>, by blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews):
> I must have missed the discussion on normalization......
>....Could anybody point me in the direction of some literature on the subject
> of normalization?  Thanks.

Read Chris Date's >> Introduction to Database Systems << or
Tsichritzis & Lochovsky's >> Data Models <<.

--
David I. Berg (dberg@nosc.mil)
GENISYS Information Systems, Inc., 4250 Pacific Hwy #118, San Diego, CA 92110