[comp.databases] Ingres/NET: fun with error messages

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/30/89)

Where do I find the explanation of this error message?

I'm on rhesus, the database "primate" is on "uakari".

	% quel uakari::primate
	Error starting up INGRES
		9900: end of file

Hm.  End of WHAT file?  Lastcomm shows:

	quel             ingres   ttyp0     1.38 secs Fri Dec 29 16:40
	kill_ing         ingres   ttyp0     0.03 secs Fri Dec 29 16:40
	ntproc        DX ingres   ttyp0     0.92 secs Fri Dec 29 16:40

so evidently the error message is from ntproc (which gracefully dumps
core, by the way.  The stack trace is:

	STlength ()
	t4_conn ()
	NTconnect ()
	main ()

I'm clueless.  Can anyone help me out?  This is
with Ingres 5.0 on both ends of the network.

Paul DuBois
Internet:	dubois@primate.wisc.edu
UUCP:		rhesus!dubois
FAX:		608/263-4031

swine@softway.oz (Peter Swain) (01/02/90)

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

>Where do I find the explanation of this error message?
>	% quel uakari::primate
>	Error starting up INGRES
>		9900: end of file

from memory, several thing may be ill:

the mapping in /etc/hosts needs to be mentioned on both machines for
rexec to work -- B must appear in A's /etc/hosts, and A in B's;

remote home directory may not be known -- an environment variable (or better
still an 'ingsetenv' setting) called INGRESNET{HOST} (or some
such thing) should contain the remote host's ingres account's $HOME.
Alternatively, make sure the login shell for the remote account
is csh, and the rexec()ing program will use ~ingres (unless a bug in rexecd
forces use of /bin/sh).

there should be a test program distributed, which diagnoses TCP problems: it's
called n4test or some such -- look at ~ingres/bin/*test* -- and beware of a
bug in the version I've seen, in which it only works if you 'sh -x' it!!!

							piglet.
--
Peter Swain - Softway Pty Ltd		(swine@softway.oz)
    79 Myrtle St, Chippendale, NSW, Australia

cormac@wuwei.sybase.com (Cormac Burke) (01/03/90)

In article <1379@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Where do I find the explanation of this error message?
>
>	% quel uakari::primate
>	Error starting up INGRES
>		9900: end of file

Use the utility 'netdiag', which, if I recall correctly, was standard
on the Unix distributions of Ingres 5.0. It should be in ~ingres/bin,
and can help isolate which part of ingres/net is breaking.
Cormac

Cormac Burke
Sybase, Inc.
6475 Christie Avenue
Emeryville, CA  94608  {pyramid,pacbell,sun,mtxinu,capmkt}!sybase!cormac