[comp.databases] Summary of fututre trends in databases

theisen@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Barbara Theisen) (01/04/90)

I am looking for an article that summarizes the future directions of
database systems in not too technical terms.  This for distribution
to attendees at a seminar on database systems, where the crowd is
expected to be pretty naive...probably 75% have never heard of normalization.
Most of the attendees will be interested in the pc market, but some will
be interested in high performance databases on larger systems, distributed
databases, object oriented databases, etc.  Anyone seen anything like
this recently?  I am sure that I've read things of this type, but I can't
seem to locate any of them.  Actually, I'm sure I've heard Dr. Stonebraker
speak on the subject, so I bet he has published something like this somewhere.
I will be happy to track down any references you can suggest.

                       Barbara Theisen

Barbara Theisen                        Computer Programmer/Database Consultant
Madison Academic Computing Center      Internet: theisen@macc.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin - Madison

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (01/05/90)

In article <2907@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> theisen@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Barbara Theisen) writes:
>I am looking for an article that summarizes the future directions of
>database systems in not too technical terms. [...]
> [...]  Actually, I'm sure I've heard Dr. Stonebraker
>speak on the subject, so I bet he has published something like this somewhere.

It is a good idea to dig up some paper by Professor Stonebraker, because
he is both a leading figure in the field and a good writer.
BUT do not use it as your sole background, because Stonebraker is also
very biassed: relational is good, everything else is bad.
I heard him in a panel at VLDB 1987, saying essentially:

1. There is nothing new in object-oriented databases.

2. Anything that is new in them can be done in Postgres as well.

3. Those things in object-oriented databases that cannot be done
   even in Postgres are unnecessary or harmful.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland