[comp.databases] Aggresive INGRES Corp.

angel@adm.BRL.MIL (Rick Angelini) (01/04/90)

Has anyone noticed the change in advertising since "Relational Technology
Inc." became "Ingres Corportation"?   It looks like they are going to
play hardball with their competitors, probably most notably Oracle.

I'm not too familiar with Oracle (or other Rdbms vendors), but Ingres Corp
is really coming down on their sales tactics.    Has anyone had any
experience with a vendor doing "anything short of lying just to get the
sale" ? (a paraphased quote from one of the new ads)   Does anyone have
an opinion on the new sales approach by Ingres Corp - is it the roar of
a company ready to bust out of the gate, or something else?    What about
the 8 page layout of ads in a recent copy of Digital Review?

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion .....

Rick <angel@brl.mil>

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (01/04/90)

In article <21951@adm.BRL.MIL> angel@adm.brl.mil.UUCP (Rick Angelini - BRL/SECAD <angel>) writes:

>Has anyone noticed the change in advertising since "Relational Technology
>Inc." became "Ingres Corportation"?   It looks like they are going to
>play hardball with their competitors, probably most notably Oracle.
>
>I'm not too familiar with Oracle (or other Rdbms vendors), but Ingres Corp
>is really coming down on their sales tactics.    Has anyone had any
>experience with a vendor doing "anything short of lying just to get the
>sale" ? (a paraphased quote from one of the new ads)   Does anyone have
>an opinion on the new sales approach by Ingres Corp - is it the roar of
>a company ready to bust out of the gate, or something else?    What about
>the 8 page layout of ads in a recent copy of Digital Review?

The quote in the Ingres ad is "all's fair as long as you're not outright lying"
I think Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO) said this in an interview with Computer
Systems News or maybe it was the Wall Street Journal.  He was talking
about marketing and if Oracle was pushing the bounds.

I actually enjoy most of the marketing hype.  Larry Ellison seems to
have the best quotes.  I remember reading something like this:

Interviewer: "Some people say Oracle is slower than Sybase."
Ellison: "We run at 600tps on the NCubed.  They are 20-30tps on a vax
or sun. See,we are faster."

For those who don't know, an NCubed is categorized, at least by the
company selling it, a supercomputer.

It is entertaining, but I do feel sorry for those trying to get real
information from these companies.  Gotta have friends on the net.

Joe Liemandt
liemandt@lindy.stanford.edu

segel@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Gargoyle) (01/05/90)

In article <6856@lindy.Stanford.EDU> liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) writes:
>In article <21951@adm.BRL.MIL> angel@adm.brl.mil.UUCP (Rick Angelini - BRL/SECAD <angel>) writes:
>>
>>I'm not too familiar with Oracle (or other Rdbms vendors), but Ingres Corp
>>is really coming down on their sales tactics.    Has anyone had any
>>experience with a vendor doing "anything short of lying just to get the
>>sale" ? (a paraphased quote from one of the new ads)   Does anyone have
>
>The quote in the Ingres ad is "all's fair as long as you're not outright lying"

Thank G*d I don't work for those two companies. Yeah, sure in the short
term, you get the immeadiate sale, but then when the product does not
work the way you claim, then you lose in the long run.

Yes, I work for a different DB company, and I don't think I will
work here much longer if OUR company stoops to those tactics.
From my impression, to suceed is to do your best and make your
product the best under the circumstances.

I am a consultant, and if placed on a project where the salesman lied
or streched the truth, really makes my job a pain. I feel that to be
honest up front will be better in the long run.

>I actually enjoy most of the marketing hype.  Larry Ellison seems to
>have the best quotes.  I remember reading something like this:
>
>Interviewer: "Some people say Oracle is slower than Sybase."
>Ellison: "We run at 600tps on the NCubed.  They are 20-30tps on a vax
>or sun. See,we are faster."
>
>For those who don't know, an NCubed is categorized, at least by the
>company selling it, a supercomputer.

So you and any other person/salesman can point out. If he wants to compare
apples and oranges, let him. You just compare his apples to your apples
and let the customer decide.

>It is entertaining, but I do feel sorry for those trying to get real
>information from these companies.  Gotta have friends on the net.
>
>Joe Liemandt
>liemandt@lindy.stanford.edu

I agree, it is sad, but from what I have seen of the company I work for,
they try to give real information. Each cutomer has his priorities
on different aspects of the performance of a data base/ DB company.
Speed, Flexability, Ease of Use, Platforms available, Documentation,
and of course the personality of the salesperson and their contacts
(tech support , ect ) do play a major role.

Who would you rather buy from, a person who would do almost anything
to get the sale, or someone who is willing to work with you to find
a solution to your needs?

-Mike Segel
segel@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu
or
segel@infmx.UUCP

--
-Mike Segel         segel@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu   (614) 294-3350
"These opinions are my own and in no way reflect those of the University

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (01/05/90)

Sorry but I can't resist.

From article <3849@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu>, by segel@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Gargoyle):

> Who would you rather buy from, a person who would do almost anything
> to get the sale, or someone who is willing to work with you to find
> a solution to your needs?
>
> -Mike Segel
> segel@infmx.UUCP

The latter.  Who would you recommand :-) :-)?
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur.uucp!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.

deac@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Deac Lancaster) (01/05/90)

I can't stand being ignorant any more.  Would someone please tell me
what does   :-)   mean?

Is  :-)   :-)    just more of   :-) ?

Thanks,
Deac

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (01/08/90)

angel@adm.BRL.MIL (Rick Angelini) writes:

>I'm not too familiar with Oracle (or other Rdbms vendors), but Ingres Corp
>is really coming down on their sales tactics.    Has anyone had any
>experience with a vendor doing "anything short of lying just to get the
>sale" ?

Yes.  Also with vendors who don't stop short.
Shall I quote Oracle ads?

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
The Philip Morris Companies, Inc: without question the strongest