[comp.databases] INGRES tools

pritchaj@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (John Pritchard) (01/10/90)

The college I work for purchased the INGRES database system last
summer, and we have recently begun working with release 6.2 on VAX VMS
systems.  It seems to me there are several "holes" in the tool set; that
is, there are several essential utilities that are missing.  I would
like to hear from anyone who has built similar utilities, toward the
possibility of an application trade as well as swapping experiences.

We are working on a portable application to export an INGRES table into
a text file in standard comma separated value (CSV) format.  This is the
"mail merge" format, used by most microcomputer word processors and
spreadsheets (Lotus .PRN files).  We considered doing this with the COPY
command and then with a 3GL Pascal program, but for speed have started
in the 4GL with a simple application.  Does this ring any bells?
					Sande Nissen
					Carleton College, MN
					snissen@carleton.edu

pritchaj@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (John Pritchard) (01/10/90)

The college I work for purchased the INGRES database system last
summer, and we have recently begun working with release 6.2 on VAX VMS
systems.  It seems to me there are several "holes" in the tool set; that
is, there are several essential utilities that are missing.  I would
like to hear from anyone who has built similar utilities, toward the
possibility of an application trade as well as swapping experiences.

We are considering developing an application, procedure, or report (or
combination thereof) that would generate a crosstab-style report on any
INGRES table, given the column to summarize, type of summary, column
across the top, and column down the left.  Does this ring any bells?
					Sande Nissen
					Carleton College, MN
					snissen@carleton.edu

pritchaj@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (John Pritchard) (01/10/90)

The college I work for purchased the INGRES database system last
summer, and we have recently begun working with release 6.2 on VAX VMS
systems.  It seems to me there are several "holes" in the tool set; that
is, there are several essential utilities that are missing.  I would
like to hear from anyone who has built similar utilities, toward the
possibility of an application trade as well as swapping experiences.

We are considering a portable application or procedure to import a text
file that is in standard comma separated value (CSV) format into an
INGRES table.  This is the "mail merge" format, used by most
microcomputer word processors and spreadsheets (Lotus .PRN files).  The
COPY command can import data from text files, but there are two
problems: 1) the user has to specify every column and its format, when
the table may already be defined ion the systems catalogs, and 2) COPY's
handling of embedded delimiters (by escaping them) won't handle CSV.
Does this ring any bells?
					Sande Nissen
					Carleton College, MN
					snissen@carleton.edu

pritchaj@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (John Pritchard) (01/10/90)

The college I work for purchased the INGRES database system last
summer, and we have recently begun working with release 6.2 on VAX VMS
systems.  It seems to me there are several "holes" in the tool set; that
is, there are several essential utilities that are missing.  I would
like to hear from anyone who has built similar utilities, toward the
possibility of an application trade as well as swapping experiences.

We are considering a portable application or procedure(s) to provide the
basic functionality of the non-standard SQL ALTER TABLE command.  This
includes renaming tables and columns, adding and deleting columns,
resizing columns, and possibly changing the datatype of columns.  A Tech
Note explains how to do this with CREATE TABLE AS, but the steps are
tedious and prone to error, for occasional users.  Does this ring any
bells?
					Sande Nissen
					Carleton College, MN
					snissen@carleton.edu

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (01/11/90)

In article <10480@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> snissen@carleton.edu () writes:
>The COPY command can import data from text files, but there are two
>problems: 1) the user has to specify every column and its format, when
>the table may already be defined ion the systems catalogs...

That's because you're specifying the format in which they appear in the
input stream.  For example, if I define a field as a two-byte integer in
the CREATE TABLE command and as a five-byte character string in my COPY
command, the conversion is performed, but if I call it two-byte integer in
the input stream, it is expected to be binary data.  The format of the
field in the table has no bearing (barring illegal conversions) on the
format in the input file.

>...and 2) COPY's
>handling of embedded delimiters (by escaping them) won't handle CSV.

True... does your exporter allow tab-separation?
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM