[comp.databases] vbase information

mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Sherman) (01/12/90)

I was told by several people that I should look at "vbase", a
commercially available object oriented data base. At the time, I forget
to get a pointer to the company who made it or other information. Can
someone tell me where I can find the makers of this and how to contact
them?
		-Mark

qing@anucsd.oz (Qing Li) (01/12/90)

In article <AZfAp4q00VsA47=FBF@andrew.cmu.edu>, mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Sherman) writes:
> I was told by several people that I should look at "vbase", a
> commercially available object oriented data base. At the time, I forget
> to get a pointer to the company who made it or other information. Can
> someone tell me where I can find the makers of this and how to contact
> them?
> 		-Mark

Vbase was among the first commercially available object-oriented databases,
developed by Ontologic Inc. The 2nd generation of Vbase called ONTOS, written
in/for C++ applications, is now available for SUN and Apollo platforms (as
they advertised on the recent Journal of Object-Oreinted Programming). Try
the following contacting address to get hold of them:

		Robert Martin
		Ontologic Inc.
		3 Burlington Woods
		Burlington, MA 01803
		Tel: (617)-272-7110
		Fax: (617)-272-8101

--Qing Li

Qing LI 	Dept of Computer Science  phone: +61 62 49 3783 / (062) 49 3783
		Faculty of Science	  ACSnet,CSNET:   qing@anucsd.anu.oz
		Australian National University

jonathan@axecore.UUCP (Jonathan Eunice) (01/14/90)

The address you need:

	Ontologic, Inc.
	47 Manning Road
	Billerica, MA  01821
	508-667-2383

Ontologic used to sell an object-oriented database/programming
environment called Vbase.  They may still sell it to you, but it is no
longer their primary product.  They currently emphasize Ontos, a new
object server oriented towards C++.  Ontos, being shown at the OOPSLA
conference in October, has some bragging rights as the first C++ object
server to ship.

A new competitor, Object Sciences, hopes to ship a similar product this
quarter (1Q90).  Contact:

	Object Sciences
	210 Twin Dolphin Drive
	Redwood City, CA  94065
	(415) 325-2300

You might also consider Object Design.  Object Design is not shipping
to my knowledge, but they have an "early access" program for their
C++-based object database.  Contact:

	Object Design
	1 New England Executive Park
	Burlington, MA  01803
	617-270-9797

Yet another competitor you might check out is Servio Logic, which has a
C API now for its GemStone product, and a C++ interface in Beta.  Contact:

	Servio Logic Corporation
	1420 Harbor Bay Parkway/Suite 100
	Alameda, CA  94501
	(415) 748-6227

I think this pretty much rounds out the OOPSLA '89 hall of object
database fame.  Hope it helps.  And, as always, my providing names and
addresses in no way consititutes an endorsement of any kind.