[comp.databases] dBASE IV Printer/File Problem

gomberg@polka.mitre.org (Dave Gomberg) (01/03/90)

I have borrowed a registered copy of dBASE IV to try out the new features
beyond dBASE III.  Please no flames -- it is the only way I know to get
an "evaluation copy", and if I can get the problem below solved I will
go out THIS week and pay for my own copy because I really do need some
of the new features.

The problem is this:  I am unable to get output to my printer or to a file.
I believe I have put all the proper incantations to work, such as
SET PRINTER ON or SET PRINTER TO FILE <filename> and I have tried both
the Epson LQ1500 and the GENERIC drivers.  In the case of the printer,
absolutely nothing happens.  PRINTSTATUS() returns .T. all the time.
In the case of files, I get a file full of blanks (and although I haven't
counted them, probably equal to what the characters would have been if
they had actually been properly delivered).  In all cases, the output is
echoed to the screen, even if I SET TALK OFF.  If it matters, the system
is a Mitsubishi MP386 running Phoenix BIOS 3.00 (? but very recent) and
MS-DOS 3.3.  BTW, dBASEIII doesn't have this problem.  And WordPerfect 5.0
and 5.1 and MultiMate (yech, but my wife uses it) work just fine with the
printer.

If you can shed some light on this I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Dave Gomberg

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (01/04/90)

In article <85290@linus.UUCP> gomberg@polka.mitre.org (Dave Gomberg) writes:
>I have borrowed a registered copy of dBASE IV to try out the new features.
>The problem is this:  I am unable to get output to my printer or to a file.

Please call our support line at (213) 329-0086 and try to narrow down
the problem, and also to see if any other problems have been reported
with this hardware (perhaps), and then mail me directly if you can't
resolve it.  I'm working on the print engine right now.

--Cy--      cy@dbase.a-t.com

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (01/17/90)

Sorry it's taken so long to reply--perhaps someone else responded sooner.
The original posting didn't describe what or how the output is created,
only that it didn't print.  There are several ways to put things out--
?, @..SAY, and commands like LIST.  SET PRINTER ON gets the ? output,
SET DEVICE TO PRINT (or FILE) gets @..SAY output and with commands like
LIST, you need to add the keyword LIST...TO PRINT (or FILE).  Printing
can be accomplished using dBASE IV, I assure you :-).

/alastair/