[comp.databases] Looking for C library recommendations for indexed files

romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) (01/12/90)

Hi,

  I'm looking for netters' recommendations on libraries which allow you
to manipulate indexed files from within C.  I'd like the library to be
able to work on UNIX and DOS (or at least have the vendor offer UNIX
and DOS versions).  Source code is not essential but could make
portability easier (i.e. not need to have many precompiled versions).

  Any help would be appreciated.

  Could you please e-mail me as I don't normally subscribe to this
newsgroup.

advTHANKSance

Pavneet Arora
...!utgpu!rom!pavneet

Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 2C6
(416) 586-5626

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (01/16/90)

In article <1990Jan12.005550.1452@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) writes:

>   I'm looking for netters' recommendations on libraries which allow you
> to manipulate indexed files from within C.  I'd like the library to be
> able to work on UNIX and DOS (or at least have the vendor offer UNIX
> and DOS versions).  Source code is not essential but could make
> portability easier (i.e. not need to have many precompiled versions).

I highly recommend the B-tree and ISAM package from SoftFocus.  I have
been working with if for years, it comes with source, works on both UNIX
and DOS and is inexpensive.  I don't remember the price but I believe it
is under $100 and they support it.  All in all, great people to work with.

Here is the contact info:
	Jon Simkins
	SoftFocus
	1343 Stanbury Dr
	Oakville, ON L6L 2J5
	(416) 825-0903

They are a 3 or 4 person company and treat their customers like humans.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/17/90)

In article <384@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:

> I highly recommend the B-tree and ISAM package from SoftFocus.  I have
> been working with if for years, it comes with source, works on both UNIX
> and DOS and is inexpensive.  I don't remember the price but I believe it
> is under $100 and they support it.  All in all, great people to work with.

I've been using the SoftFocus B-tree library for years and have from time
to time thought of adding an ISAM layer on top of it. How does SoftFocus'
own ISAM relate to the B-tree package? Does it use it, or is it a free-
standing package? And... does it support duplicated keys (this is my main
problem with the bare B-tree library)?

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB