[comp.databases] Is dBASE IV SQL really slow?

glassmann@ccavax.camb.com (02/07/90)

I'm new at this, so this may have been discussed already, but...
Is dBASE IV SQL incredibly slow?  I created a small table and did a
SELECT WHERE, and it took about 8 seconds, with lots of disk accesses.
The equivalent query in normal dBASE took under a second.
--
Lenny Glassmann                lenny@ccavax.camb.com
                               ...uunet!ccavax!lenny

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/09/90)

In article <16946.25cffdfa@ccavax.camb.com>, glassmann@ccavax.camb.com writes:
> I'm new at this, so this may have been discussed already, but...
> Is dBASE IV SQL incredibly slow?  I created a small table and did a
> SELECT WHERE, and it took about 8 seconds, with lots of disk accesses.
> The equivalent query in normal dBASE took under a second.
> --
> Lenny Glassmann                lenny@ccavax.camb.com
>                                ...uunet!ccavax!lenny

I don't recall this being discussed.  Terms like 'slow' and 'fast' are
relative, you see.  If a painter wants to show a bright light, he paints
with black.  Most PC SQL implementations that I've seen (which is not all
that many) do things in a mainframe mode and write lots of temp files which
makes them slower than a native program like dBASE.  This entire mail
is a little tongue-in-cheek, but I have heard others say that dBASE/SQL
is particularly useful as an introduction to SQL for dBASE users and that
in this context, speed is not much of an issue.  I certainly haven't
heard that from any official Ashton-Tate sources, however, and neither
have you.

/alastair/

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (02/09/90)

In article <419@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>In article <16946.25cffdfa@ccavax.camb.com>, glassmann@ccavax.camb.com writes:
>> I'm new at this, so this may have been discussed already, but...
>> Is dBASE IV SQL incredibly slow?  I created a small table and did a
>> SELECT WHERE, and it took about 8 seconds, with lots of disk accesses.
>> The equivalent query in normal dBASE took under a second.
[lines omitted]
>... but I have heard others say that dBASE/SQL
>is particularly useful as an introduction to SQL for dBASE users and that
>in this context, speed is not much of an issue...

I agree: it's useful to note that the objective was to provide SQL
support, and as you might expect in any first release, its performance
is not as good as dBASE.  However, I know that there's a certain fixed
amount of overhead in using SQL, so that the case you tried is, perhaps,
a worst case.  I haven't measured it, but I expect that queries run on
larger tables would start to more closely match dBASE native speed.

--Cy--   cy@dbase.a-t.com   Disclaimer: My opinions only.