[comp.databases] Network Model Database

shashi@lzga.ATT.COM (Shashi Prasad) (02/09/90)

I would like to know about any network model database available on the Unix
system (any machine). The only one I am aware of is TUXEDO/D(AT&T product).
The information I am looking for is the product name and vendor.
--
Shashi

scarton@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Mark A. Scarton) (02/10/90)

In article <1811@lzga.ATT.COM> shashi@lzga.ATT.COM (Shashi Prasad) writes:

>I would like to know about any network model database available on the Unix
>system (any machine). The only one I am aware of is TUXEDO/D(AT&T product).
>The information I am looking for is the product name and vendor.

I'd recommend that you look into db_VISTA product put out by Raima.  I
believe that it uses network internally, but supplies interfaces for
hierarchical, network, and SQL (including a C programmable interface).

Hosting in their latest brochures include Xenix, Unix System V, MacOS
(Apple), MS-DOS, OS/2, DGUX and AOS/VS (DG), Ultrix, VMS, AIX, Sun OS,
etc.  When I talked to them, they indicated that IBM mainframe support
is under development as well.  The PC version can be networked; I don't
know about the others.

They seem to have a good reputation, with a large European installed
base as well.  I spoke with Daryl (very knowledgable, good follow-up).
800-db-raima.  He sent me a number of demos, and indicated that more
were available via a BBS (call him for number and details, please).

I have not yet bought the product -- I'm investigating it for use in our
database classes here in the Engineering School -- so I can't yet give
you a personal opinion on the worth of the product.  If you truely need
network support, though, it is said to be one of the better products.
 Mark A. Scarton  607/798-7781   PO Box 1825 SUNY; Binghamton, NY 13901
    Systems Science PhD Student, scarton@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
          Instructor: Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (02/12/90)

In article <1811@lzga.ATT.COM> shashi@lzga.ATT.COM (Shashi Prasad) writes:

>I would like to know about any network model database available on the Unix
>system (any machine). The only one I am aware of is TUXEDO/D(AT&T product).
>The information I am looking for is the product name and vendor.

Name: db_Vista
Vendor: Raima Assoc

Name: MDBS III
Vendor: Micro Data Base Systems, Inc

Raima will include the source in C for a fee.
fred rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr