[comp.databases] Dbase IV compiler

mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) (02/07/90)

Alastair recently posted:

>FoxBase is a fine clone--I'd recommend it (for most applications) over
>dBASE III myself (now you KNOW that's my opinion and not my employer's).
>I just like to see us reach a higher plane in our net discussions.

    It seems of late, you are quick on the responses to those that have
something better to say about another product other than dBASE.  I don't
have anything negative to say about dBASE but I would appreciate it if
you would take a minute to answer a question from a satisfied customer.

    Will a program file written and compiled in dBASE IV, run outside
of the dBASE IV enviornment?    Thank you.

                   __                           /  6901 W. Sunrise Blvd.
  /\/\  o /  __   /__)  __          __/ __  ___/   Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 33313
 / / / / /) (__  /  \  /_/ /  / /\   / /_/ /  /    UUCP: uunet!gould!mraustad
/   /_/_/ \_(__ /   /_/ /_(__/_/__)_/_/ /_(__/     INTERNET:mraustad@encore.com
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/09/90)

In article <125695@infocenter.UUCP>, mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) writes:
	<referring to me:>
>     It seems of late, you are quick on the responses to those that have
> something better to say about another product other than dBASE.  I don't
> have anything negative to say about dBASE but I would appreciate it if
> you would take a minute to answer a question from a satisfied customer.
>
>     Will a program file written and compiled in dBASE IV, run outside
> of the dBASE IV enviornment?    Thank you.

I distinctly remember answering this question.  The answer is no.  dBASE IV's
compiler is a psuedo-compiler which generates .dbo files that can only be
executed in the dBASE IV environment.  However, Ashton-Tate has announced
a Professional Compiler that will generate .exe files which stand alone.
The latter Compiler's availability is in the future, unfortunately.

As for being thin-skinned--I guess I'm guilty.  It looked for a while there
as if Ashton-Tate wasn't going to climb out of this nosedive.  I never
blamed those who praise other products for our problems, but I admit I
wanted to.  Anyway, I'm feeling much better now, and I ask the net's
indulgence for past transgressions.

Glad you're a satisfied customer, Mike.  I'll try to answer more questions
than I raise in the future.

/alastair/

rwilliam@grebyn.com (Roger Williams) (02/10/90)

In article <418@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>In article <125695@infocenter.UUCP>, mraustad@infocenter.UUCP (Mike Raustad) writes:
>>     Will a program file written and compiled in dBASE IV, run outside
>> of the dBASE IV enviornment?    Thank you.
>
>I distinctly remember answering this question.  The answer is no.  dBASE IV's
>compiler is a psuedo-compiler which generates .dbo files that can only be
>executed in the dBASE IV environment.  However, Ashton-Tate has announced
>a Professional Compiler that will generate .exe files which stand alone.
>The latter Compiler's availability is in the future, unfortunately.

Hmmmm... Where I work, we have a copy of dBASE IV Developers
Edition.  This Developers Edition allows you to generate .dbo
files, link them with DBLINK and run them on machines that do not
have dBASE via the RunTime module that was included in the
Developer's Edition.  I'm a bit suprised Alastair didn't mention
this.

Roger Williams
rwilliam@grebyn.com

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/16/90)

In article <19363@grebyn.com>, rwilliam@grebyn.com (Roger Williams) writes:

> Hmmmm... Where I work, we have a copy of dBASE IV Developers
> Edition.  This Developers Edition allows you to generate .dbo
> files, link them with DBLINK and run them on machines that do not
> have dBASE via the RunTime module that was included in the
> Developer's Edition.  I'm a bit suprised Alastair didn't mention
> this.

Well....  I try to avoid hype if possible.  RunTime is extremely useful
and worthwhile for developers, but to create the "RunTime" module, we
#define RUNTIME and recompile the source--the 'module' is very large
because it contains a large percentage of dBASE.  You get code security,
a single DBLINKed dbo file and turnkey operation, but you get almost none
of the efficiency people associate with a standalone executable.

But you're right--I was reading into the original poster's request the
need for features I'm waiting for in our Professional Compiler; perhaps
RunTime is just what he needs.  Thanks for catching me!

/alastair/