[comp.databases] Mem Resident Database

richardj@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Jablonka) (02/08/90)

I need to make my dbase or foxpro memory resident.  I have an application
that needs to be ready at the push of a button.  It is written Dbase III+.

Unix is great but I want to do it in Dos.

Anyway I have a 8088 machine. Would it be easy to program a simple database in
Basic that is memory resident.  Do I need to know assembler language to make
the program memory resident.  Thanks.

                            Richard Jablonka, richardj@uhccux

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/09/90)

In article <6511@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, richardj@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Jablonka) writes:
> I need to make my dbase or foxpro memory resident.  I have an application
> that needs to be ready at the push of a button.  It is written Dbase III+.

You might consider Ashton-Tate's "FrontRunner," a TSR version of III+ that
will likely run your program without modification.  This approach is not as
efficient as writing your own memory-resident database in assembler, but
it's a lot faster to market.

Hope it helps.

/alastair/

todd@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/15/90)

In article <6511@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>,
richardj@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Jablonka) writes:

> I need to make my dbase or foxpro memory resident.  I have an application
> that needs to be ready at the push of a button.  It is written Dbase III+.
>
> Unix is great but I want to do it in Dos.
>
> Anyway I have a 8088 machine. Would it be easy to program a simple
> database in
> Basic that is memory resident.  Do I need to know assembler language to make
> the program memory resident.  Thanks.
>
>                             Richard Jablonka, richardj@uhccux

If your application is only data entry, then I might have a solution
for you.  I have a memory resident data collection utility called
CONSULT that runs both on DOS and Macintosh computers.  This program
creates columnar (dBASE SDF) ascii files that can be imported into
other applications for analysis.  The utility features automatic time
and date stamping, elapsed time, search and retrieve existing records,
pop-up field selection, five simultaneous work buffers, and user
definable online help.

We use the utility to record consulting questions that interrupt work
done on our micros or mainframes.  We pop the utility up over our
work, record the information, and then exit from the utility back to
our original work.  If the elapsed timer is left on, when we return to
the utility, the elapsed time displayed includes the time when the
utility is dormant.

If your application is similar to this, then send me a message.  I
will be happy to send you documentation for your perusal.

<  Todd M. Gochenour    |  Phone:     (913)864-0451            >
<  User Services        |  Internet:  Todd@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu  >
<  Computer Center      |  BITNET:    TODD@UKANVAX             >
<  University of Kansas |  The views above are solely my own.  >
<  Lawrence, KS 66045   |  Yes, it can be lonely sometimes.    >

schulz@ipsi.UUCP (Guenther F. Schulz) (02/19/90)

From article <22226.25d942bc@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by todd@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:
> In article <6511@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>,
> richardj@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Jablonka) writes:
>
>> I need to make my dbase or foxpro memory resident.  I have an application
>> that needs to be ready at the push of a button.  It is written Dbase III+.
>>
>> Unix is great but I want to do it in Dos.
>>
>> Anyway I have a 8088 machine. Would it be easy to program a simple
>> database in
>> Basic that is memory resident.  Do I need to know assembler language to make
>> the program memory resident.  Thanks.
>>
>>                             Richard Jablonka, richardj@uhccux

No problem, you don't need to reinvent the wheel as there is
a very nice TSR program in the public domain doing  all what you
want and even more...

You can download it from your SIMTEL20 server with

/PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.DBASE>POPDBF35.ARC

if you have access to internet. If not, just contact me directly.

Regards,
Guenter.