[comp.databases] text and binary fields

craig@unify.uucp (Craig Isaacs) (02/16/90)

I apologize for the delay in the follow-up, as I was on the road....

	jkrueger@dev.dtic.dla.mil (Jonathan Krueger) writes:
		craig@unify.uucp (Craig Isaacs) writes:

		>With variable width columns (UNIFY's "text" and "binary" field
		>types) customers can store images, documents, etc... as part of
		>their RDBMS so they can integrate their RDBMS applications with
		>other technologies.

	Oh, good.  Please tell us how UNIFY selects on columns of this type.
	For instance, take the document idea, say given a table like

	+-----+
	| emp | name       hiredate      resume
	+-----+---------+-------------------------------------------------+
	      | Stevans | 20 Sept 1989 | 1975 to 1978: wrote database ... |
	      +---------+-------------------------------------------------+

	would the select syntax look like

		select name from emp where fulltext(resume, "UNIX") = 1

Our syntax would look like:

  SELECT name FROM emp WHERE resume LIKE '%UNIX%';

	[...]   Also, please explain how indexing and
	storage structures would prevent exhaustive table scans.  This will help
	us understand how UNIFY customers can integrate their RDBMS applications
	with other technologies.

Actually, you could create indicies (indexes) on the text field; however, we
are not in the business of creating full text retrieval packages (and therefore
do not optimize for full text retrieval).  The *technology* is there, however,
so you *can* integrate with other technologies like full text retrieval
and scanned images.

	-- Jon
	--
	Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger.dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger

Craig Isaacs                                      internet: craig@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation                           ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!craig

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (02/20/90)

craig@unify.uucp (Craig Isaacs) writes:
>>With variable width columns (UNIFY's "text" and "binary" field
>>types) customers can store images, documents, etc... as part of
>>their RDBMS so they can integrate their RDBMS applications with
>>other technologies ...
>>Our syntax would look like:
>>  SELECT name FROM emp WHERE resume LIKE '%UNIX%';

Craig, all commercially available RDBMS engines perform pattern
matching on strings.  Where exactly does Unify's product add value?

>Actually, you could create indicies (indexes) on the text field; however, we
>are not in the business of creating full text retrieval packages (and therefore
>do not optimize for full text retrieval).

"Do not optimize" is a polite way of saying "do not implement", isn't
it?  If not, please explain how you will avoid exhaustive table scan.

>The *technology* is there, however, so you *can* integrate with other
>technologies like full text retrieval and scanned images.

What technology is where, Craig?  What part has Unify
supplied?  What does it make possible that any RDBMS doesn't?

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
The Philip Morris Companies, Inc: without question the strongest